Weather.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a quote from my sis-in-law in Cambridge "I also read in the papers that we can expect temperatures of minus 20 and snow by the end of the month "

Global warming has got to be the biggest ever earner for the con men! Second must be wind turbines!

And there was me thinking that a good meteo bloke was someone who could look into a girls eyes and tell whether? :shock:

The snow etc refers to London, nowhere else exists!
Here in west Wales we have had 'snow' three times in 21yrs!

Roy.

I was reading an article on the BBC website yesterday saying this isn't to do with Global warming but with the cycle of the sun - effectively it's gone into a cooler phase and they said something about UV so it's got colder in the UK and N Europe but hotter in the southern hemisphere so it's all balancing out overall.

John, global warming is happening. It's not a con. If I understand you right that is :)

I agree Jen, it is happening as it has done since the earth began. It's the con men who are cashing in on it that get up my nose at the speed of light (hammer)

I would love to have heard what the scientists of the day said at the end of the ice age.

Imagine the scene, loads of animal skin clad scientists standing around and watching the ice melt. Each saying that it was one of the other idiots wot had invented fire that wer meltin the ice! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jensmith":2o6l30jg said:
I was reading an article on the BBC website yesterday saying this isn't to do with Global warming but with the cycle of the sun - effectively it's gone into a cooler phase and they said something about UV so it's got colder in the UK and N Europe but hotter in the southern hemisphere so it's all balancing out overall.

John, global warming is happening. It's not a con. If I understand you right that is :)
I believe you do Jen.

Many of the doubters or deniers as they are called in places seem even more vociferous than those who tend to believe what the majority of scientists say is happening. I have no personal knowledge or education to draw on. Therefore, as in just about every other sphere in life, I have to accept that the 'experts' know what they are doing (I know, I know, there are experts and experts). If I didn't trust the engineers to know what they were doing, how could I drive a car or use a tool of any kind? Sometimes you have to pass on the trust when you don't have the knowledge yourself.

Every piece of scientific 'evidence' I have seen disputing MMGW has been successfully shot down. I remember seeing a quote somewhere that 14000 scientists didn't believe in it. They forgot to mention the 14,000,000 or so that did. With those figures I'll go with the majority and I don't believe they are all getting grants.

In any case, we are back to the old chestnut. You have to act as if its true because the effect of ignoring it if it does turn out to be true is too bad to contemplate.

It seems the same sort of blindness as not believing we are descended form the same line as apes and that the world was made 6000 years ago when ALL the available evidence says these things are rubbish.

I spy a reply :shock:

Could someone please explain to me how a change in solar radiation might affect the northern hemisphere but not the southern?

Roy.

Digit":3tocmdca said:
Could someone please explain to me how a change in solar radiation might affect the northern hemisphere but not the southern?

Roy.

It didn't. They were basically saying that the northern hemisphere got colder hence our cold winters and the southern hemisphere got hotter so overall for the earth, it balanced itself out.

Dunno without looking but I guess that the southern h has more sea area which buffers the heat. Look it up Digit and come back and tell us.

Digit":3qlrenvu said:

Roy.

It`s all to do with the rotation of the earth on it`s polar axis.

Cheers.

No need Jacob, solar radiation absorbtion on the oceans, which would keep the southern hemisphere cooler than the northern incidentaly, has nothing what so ever to with as posted. Absorbtion might be different due to land mass/ocean area, but radiation must be the same.
Shine a light on a tennis ball if in doubt.

Roy.

The course attended of "Advanced Sustainability For the Built Environment", Dundee University, assumed just this. global warming, and the assumption/link to burning hydrocarbon fuel, was a preconceived fact. Now, there much empirical thinking along these lines, and a lot of convincing research and arguments to support this hypotheses. Rises in atmospheric carbon - ppm - was first monitored at the observation station at Mauna Loa, Hawaii, in 1958, and graphs plotted correlating this rise with the industrial revolution, samples taken from the ice core in the Antarctica supported this, along with general rises in the Worlds overall temperature gave rise to the paradigm "global warming".
There seems no doubt the link between greenhouse gases, carbon inclusive, increases, and the overall global temperature rise, are in part due to mankind and his selfish indulgences, little has been tested, or indeed theorised, as to the part possibly played by Earth's movement through the cosmos, or the part played by the Sun's variations.
How did, for instance, the ice ages come about, the corroborating evidence, gathered at the Antarctica, supporting the carbon rise ppm, shows quite clearly a rise in atmospheric carbon linked with all of ice ages that have preceded us, what is not clear is whether these rises preceded or followed the onset of said conditions...we are presuming much.
Man's excesses are at best naive, whether he is responsible for conditions such as "global warming" unproven, but this is surely academic, if there is the slightest possibility that we are responsible, partially or otherwise, it surely is our duty to attempt some recompense to nature, before it unfolds some form of retribution...like global warming...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
Albert Einstein 8)

little has been tested, or indeed theorised, as to the part possibly played by Earth's movement through the cosmos, or the part played by the Sun's variations.
Yep! In fact until about 18 months no serious publication would publish any such. The change began with reports of an extremely quiet, 'Quiet Sun.'

Roy.

Didn't know anyone had mentioned cosmic rays.

Roy

Cosmic Rays pertain to us moving through the cosmos (it's the photon soup that we move through) and are (thought to be) a principle agent for solar radiation flux affecting climate. Which is the subject you're saying that you know in very clear and certain terms that serious journals were, for some mysterious reason, averse even to touching until 18 months ago.

Which is odd thing to say, given that the US and EU have had billions of dollars worth of satellites trained on monitoring exactly those issues for several decades.

Even the quickest search shows high impact journals publishing research papers on the matter regularly since the late 1980s. The idea that these are somehow taboo to mainstream science is a cooked up controversy by folk who choose not to know better. It's just that very, very few serious researchers think they're anything other than bit part players in current climate.

Latest posts

Back