Weather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean Jim if it gets any hotter in the workshop I’ll have to take my jumper off, though judging by the outside temperature the shop insulation is working well.

it has been paticularly horrible here the last few days, ultra humid, I can't wait til it cools down again.

From what I understand, most Brits abroad deal with the heat by consuming copious amounts of alcohol and berating the locals for being lazy, workshy indigents.

I get up before the sun, work until it is too hot, then hit the beach. Sleep from 3-6pm, work until dark, then stay up until,the wee hours watching shooting stars (Perseids peak tonight, if anyone can survive the cold at midnight.)

Yeah, this is unpleasant.....and that comes from someone brought up in Perth, West Australia. I once had a week in Adelaide where the minimum temperature at night never fell below 38 degrees C. But don't forget, Oz is geared up for heat. Everyone has air con and swimming pools. Here, as with snow, these extreme weather events are so rare that we don't have any infrastructure for coping. I did a 50 mile bike ride this morning, setting off early to get it done before it got warm, and frankly that's the only time to get stuff done at the moment......early morning or late evening.

it's pretty hot here to.....
I have found that keeping away from any air-con helps a lot.......found that out in Los Angeles and Arizona......
restrict soda drinks.....I still drink tea by the pint.....for every coffee n tea I have the same amount of water at the same time....
also
this really helps......wet a T shirt down and wear it until it's dry then do it again.....
thats how I get thru 36 deg +++ all day......actually in the direct sun it gets; to over 40.....left the pool therm on the pool side just once....
I cant use my pool as the place is rented out to holiday makers....

Tommorow have a leaky water main in the driveway.....loads'a fun digging that up and repairing it........
I moved here to be warm for longer, totally sick of the rain......

After spending time in Hong Kong and Singapore I'm quite glad for British weather. I don't like heat but humidity is definitely a lot worse.

You load of poms... a couple days heat and the world ends. :cool:
Might be tricky in a work environment, but I only wear swimming shorts all day long. It can be days between me actually putting on a T shirt.

When it goes over 40c, THEN you can say its hot. Cyprus shuts down for august the way the UK building trade shuts for xmas. I couldnt even get a bit of glass cut this week. On any day the temp OFFICIALLY exceeds 40, all outdoor workers are allowed to stop work and seek shade. We get an amazing amount of 39.5 days during july and august:rolleyes:

You load of poms... a couple days heat and the world ends. :cool:
Might be tricky in a work environment, but I only wear swimming shorts all day long. It can be days between me actually putting on a T shirt.

When it goes over 40c, THEN you can say its hot. Cyprus shuts down for august the way the UK building trade shuts for xmas. I couldnt even get a bit of glass cut this week. On any day the temp OFFICIALLY exceeds 40, all outdoor workers are allowed to stop work and seek shade. We get an amazing amount of 39.5 days during july and august:rolleyes:

yes but you won't get the same rancid humidity as we get in the north of england, or the south west coast it's a dryer climate.

No, it isnt. Cyprus is an island surrounded by the med sea. Its very difficult to be over 50 miles from the beach, and I'm less than half that away. Humidity is so high that even though I am only wearing swimming shorts, 5 minutes indoors is enough to make me look like I just came out the shower. Its not pleasant, but I put up with it in exchange for never seeing ice or snow again :cool:

Its not pleasant, but I put up with it in exchange for never seeing ice or snow again :cool:

Give me the numbing cold any day of the week over the blistering heat, I’ve always preferred snow, ice and even rain which I know makes me a real oddball! :LOL:

Some people feel the rain, some just get wet. ;)

Well it got to a high of 22 in the workshop yesterday & the jumper was off 😓think it will be staying on today 🌬❄

So no visits to Troodos then Sunnybob. I remember my first excercise after trade training at my first operational unit was to Cyprus. I packed absolutely no cold weather kit, after all Cyprus = bloody roasting, and then found myself on a rebroadcast detachment on top of Mt Troodos. I learned a very salutory lesson

Attachments

• manchester_humidity.JPG
    manchester_humidity.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
Back