Weather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it got to a high of 22 in the workshop yesterday & the jumper was off šŸ˜“think it will be staying on today šŸŒ¬ā„

I can't remember where you're from, Doug, but it must be at altitude to have temperatures like that. We had a massive thunderstorm this morning which has cleared the air a bit, but we're back up over 30 now.

I have spent the last week making panelling for a large room. Very tedious. I can't work at all between noon and about 3pm as heat and humidity saps energy. Everything I touch gets wet. An hour before bedtime I fire up the aircon machine and get the room to 16 degrees with nice cold air blowing over the bed. We had a few cracks of thunder in Kent this morning, but no rain. If this carries on year after year then the water companies will be challenged. We had an extremely wet winter but Southern Water did not have their act together to get stocked up.

Droogs.... I know exactly what you mean. This island is quite small, but the middle are actual mountains.
In dec /jan its possible to ski on the slopes of troodos, drive a half hour to the coast and swim in water that isnt all that cold by UK standards. Troodos village is often cut off by snow for days and even weeks at a time due to the very steep and winding roads in and out. But no, I only go up there in july august. I worked outdoors most of my UK working life, got buried in drifts a couple times. Now I dont even like looking at snow scene xmas cards. Hence my screen name :cool:

Less hot here today, 28 degrees, 32 yesterday and very humid. Just had heavy rain and thunder, but still humid. I hate winter, but this has been too much. Any work done before 8.30 am, otherwise it's too hot. That's one advantage of being retired, I get to please myself.

The worst I remember was about six years ago. An overnight stop in Metz 34 degrees at 11pm.

Nigel.

You know the one thing that really annoys me about hot weather? My red wine becomes undrinkable.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not a wine snob, but I have a particular brand of quite economical red that I really enjoy with meals. Kept in the food fridge (4c) its AWFUL. Kept at room temp (32c) its even MORE awful. Until living here I always considered a wine fridge the ultimate snobbery. Now I consider it one of life's essentials. :cool:

You know the one thing that really annoys me about hot weather? My red wine becomes undrinkable.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not a wine snob, but I have a particular brand of quite economical red that I really enjoy with meals. Kept in the food fridge (4c) its AWFUL. Kept at room temp (32c) its even MORE awful. Until living here I always considered a wine fridge the ultimate snobbery. Now I consider it one of life's essentials. :cool:

We have three Liebherr wine refrigerators in the basement to store the wine at 13C. They are most certainly life's essentials.
šŸ·

!3Ā°c would feel nice at the moment. Its 26Ā°c and very humid. The earlier thunder did nothing to clear the air.

Nigel.

I have a local branded chinese copy under the counter wine fridge. Its a wonderful thing. See, even when i'm being a snob, I aint. :cool:

I don't think you can pin any nationality or race down to being better able to cope with high (or low) extremes of temperature. Me for example, originally from NZ of Welsh, Irish and English ancestry, came to Western Aus' as a 20 year old and got a job on a farm out in the Eastern wheatbelt. It got a little bit chilly during winter but I wasn't working in snow, ice, sheeting rain and rarely even a frost as I had been on a farm in Canterbury, NZ. I became aware that I was putting on dry boots every morning and my tootsys weren't cold all day.
In 1971 I took a job on railway construction in the Pilbara region over 1500 Km North of Perth and hot in summer, man I loved it. Inland hot, dry, on the coast hot, humid but winters are beautiful. I lived and worked there for 35 years. During that time I worked with people from all over the world some were poms who, like me, thrived in the heat and others couldn't tolerate it and left.
The son of friends who was born and raised, did his apprenticeship in the Pilbara went to Canada, fell in love with the place and now works at a ski resort as a snowboarding instructor. Says he loves the cold.
Most accommodation was air conditioned so you could sleep at night, the first air conditioned machine I operated, a front end loader, would have been in the mid 90's and didn't drive a truck with A/C until 2002.
The thought of going back to working, day in day out, in the snow or driving rain as I did in my youth, is not a pleasant one.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back