Wealden's guide bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've had three guide bearings collapse in the last couple of months, all from Wealden's and none of them used that heavily :? . Do guide bearings generally fall to bits this easily? Has anyone else had this problem? Or have I just had an unluckly run?

Watching with interest, was going to order one this week!
If I do buy one, any advice on how to "lead in", seeing as I haven't got any form of lead pin on my spindle moulder.
Or can I do without it.
Thanks
Davin

Are we talking router guide bearings or spindle guide bearings?

davin you could feed in off the fence set back just slightly, use a sled too, I'm slightly nervous for you not knowing what kind of experience you have.

Simon - It's a router. Sorry for not been specific.

Davin - On the router table you can lead in without the pin but it's appantly safer with one. On a spindle, I don't know (wish I had one!).

No pin on my router table - I just start off with care and never had a problem.

You boys without a pin should get one and a guard. It might be possible to do with care but it isn't safe. First time you do have a problem it's likely to cost you a finger. A pin can be a simple as a bolt with a bit of Perspex on top for a guard.

Davin

I agree with Simon on this, you must have some sort of lead in and certainly a guard, the same applies to both a spindle and a router table.

If you have not done curved work with bearings or a ring fence on a spindle moulder before I would strongly advise that you get someone to show you how to do it as if you get it wrong it can get very nasty very quickly.

I have done a lot of curved work over the years and in fact I am just making some templates and jigs up today for a bedroom I am about to start.

BUT I would not be prepared to advise over a forum as it is best to be shown what to do and what to watch out for.

Tom

Hello all.

Don't wish to hijack the thread regarding Wealden tools.
But thanks for the concern and helpful advice.
It is a spindle moulder I meant. I normally do curved work on my router table with a disposable blade bearing cutter (from Wealden which is highly recommended, http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... m_269.html)

I dont have a pin for this either but i usually leave a straight section on the template to lead first.
The sections I have been doing recently are just too big for the router cutter, hence the interest in the bearing ring.
I have used ring fences with bonnet guards before.but with these the ring is larger than the cutter block so you only have a very small contact point (if that makes sense).With the bearing being the same size as the block making snatching possible, is that correct?
So the advice is make a lead in pin of some sort.and have fence as close as possible. Could I make a ring fence out of ply?
Davin

Froggy,
I use a few guide bearings but have not used Wealdon's. I would call them and ask and maybe give them a modest complaint about losing 3 bearings. My bearings have all lasted quite well. They were from Titmans and are the Premium Bearing Guides.

Al

Were all the bearings from the same batch? if not then I suspect you might be doing something wrong as I've almost exclusively got wealden cutters and I've never had a problem. What size bearing are you talking about or are they different sizes?

I'm intrigued to know why this is happening. I too use just about only Wealdons cutters and have never had any problems with their bearings.
Phil.

I have also used Wealdens almost exclusively for years with no complaints and I've been using bearing cutters for years with no problems. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Two of the bearings were from a 2 flute straight cutter and the other 2 from a rebate cutter. Both were less than a year old and neither have had much use. I'm an hobbist not a pro and don't use them every day. Because I've had no problem in the past with Wealdens I suspect it's a dodgy batch. What dissappoints me is that they haven't bothered to reply to my email.

My bearings from Wealdens are five years old on my router bits, even some Perform bearings are running OK as well.

I do not have a pin on my router table (Triton). My table has a good fence and sliding track type arrangements, why do you need a pin? Any links to routing videos around?

devonwoody":2ca9wlkc said:
I do not have a pin on my router table (Triton). My table has a good fence and sliding track type arrangements, why do you need a pin? Any links to routing videos around?

Have I missed something?!!! :?: I'm not talking about 'pins'. I don't know where you've got that from, it's the bearings on the cutter that are a problem, and I agree that normally they are not a problem from Wealdens. The other thing to mention (not that I think it's significant, but because you've mentioned it) is that they have broken while freehand routing not on the router table.

Latest posts

Back