Wealden vs Axminster router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbok

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the router game and would like to invest in a few quality bits. I've seen Wealden and Axminster touted as some of the better ones and I wanted to enquire as to whether one is better than the other?

I assume the Axminster brand is "Axcaliber". I'd prefer 1/2'" bits and wondering whether it would be a good decision to get s starter set such as the Axminster 12 piece or another set?

Many thanks for your sage advice (in advance)!

Wealden. Every time.

I would not buy a starter set either. You will not use most of them. Buy the profiles you need.

Wealden are better than axminster and axminster are better than trend.

I'm looking to tidy up some shiplap on the outside of a frame and was thinking of a straight bit with a bearing to guide it around the frame. Do you perhaps know if the I would be looking at Wealden's Template Profiler bit or whether I could attach a bearing to the twin flute straight cut bits?

Virtually everything I have is Wealden .......... except for the 12 piece 1/2" and 15 piece 1/4" sets, which are Trend. Wealden are better, certainly, but for value you can't knock the Trend sets. You won't use some of them - that's a valid observation, but they are so much cheaper it doesn't really matter.

No, you can't fit a bearing to a cutter not designed to carry one.

I first started using Wealdon 25 years ago, scary how time flies -I must've bought 100's of cutters over that period.

I've always wondered where Wealdon buy them from -they aren't manufacturers but I'm sure many of their cutters are unique to them.

Common advice is to not buy a starter set.

I always disagree with that, in my opinion a starter set is really useful and I HAVE used almost all the bits in mine. They're not hugely expensive, and they'll be there when you need them.

I'd go with somthing like this , and then buy individual Wealden bits after that.

transatlantic":cn1u5tz1 said:
Common advice is to not buy a starter set.

I always disagree with that, in my opinion a starter set is really useful and I HAVE used almost all the bits in mine. They're not hugely expensive, and they'll be there when you need them.

I'd go with somthing like this , and then buy individual Wealden bits after that.

I used to buy a cheap version of a tool and when it broke then buy a decent quality version of that tool. Unfortunately I've mostly ended up just using an average tool and putting up with it rather than just biting the bullet and getting the right thing first time round.

Is there that much of a difference with router bits with regards to quality? I've seen horror shows on YouTube with those 50-for-£15 eBay sets which I'll stay well clear of but am interested to hear about the Trend bits. Looking on Amazon the Trend Pro bits are priced the same as Wealden?

Wealden bits are definately better than the Trend bits you'll find in that kit. But unless you're using them day in day out, they'll suffice for the average user. Stay clear of the cheap rubbish on ebay, they're dangerous.

Then just add to your collection by buying Wealden bits as needed.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I dont have any wealdon bits :shock: :shock: :shock:
I do have a few axminster, and some trend. Without doubt axminster are a better made product, sharper and longer lasting.
Because of where I live my choices are a bit different to the UK. I have some Blue Tornado sets that are really excellent, and also a few Dimar, but they are a bit pricey by comparison.

Cheap "sets"... personally I wouldnt buy them. I have a couple of "sets" that came with routers I bought, and most of those cutters havent been used in the 6 years I've been routing . If it never gets used, it aint cheap :roll: :roll:

In my opinion if you have a big job to do with 1 profile bit then buy Wealdon. If you are new to routing and are unsure of what bits you will need then the Trend starter kits are the way to go, you may find that you never need to replace any but if you do then once again Wealden. There is no point in buying high quality long lasting bits that you never use.

What decided it for me was the recessed door hinge cutters, I had the trend ones and they where blunt after three hole cuts, I then bought the Wealdon version and they did another nine holes and are still sharp and usable, I do have the large Trend set, but it only gets used if I really must have the cutter today and can't wait for Wealdon to send it to me in France In what seems to be only three days.

Back