Wealden Tool Company Router Bits - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy from them regularly.

A very good range of cutters, professional quality at realistic prices.

If you order before 3pm they almost always arrive the following day.

Ordering online is not possible, but it does show if in stock (most items always in stock).

Do they do any multi sets? like the 16 piece kits you see from other brands? ... couldn't see anything on their site :(

RobinBHM":k4ap9vwb said:
I buy from them regularly.

A very good range of cutters, professional quality at realistic prices.

If you order before 3pm they almost always arrive the following day.

Ordering online is not possible, but it does show if in stock (most items always in stock).

You can order on line and they are excellent

transatlantic":g394jc48 said:
Do they do any multi sets? like the 16 piece kits you see from other brands? ... couldn't see anything on their site :(
Give them a call - I got a set from them but this was probably about 15 years ago after doing a router course with the late great Ron Fox

They have done some small sets, but trust me: if you're starting off, you probably don't want one.

The Wealden ones were much better quality than the typical ones, being selected from their range of standard cutters, but even so (and they had more generally useful sets than most) you almost certainly won't use some of them. So they're a waste of money (although the boxes were nice).

Have a look at some of the Ron Fox videos on their site. He's no longer with us (sadly, but none of us will go on forever!), and his presentation style is a bit 'homely' but the information is good. I'm fairly certain somewhere he suggests a starter selection.

But most people recommend just buying what you need as you need it. It worked for me, even though I've still got a few I hardly use, they were mostly acquired along the way "by accident" (for example, I bought a secondhand router on eBay that came with a set). I don't think there's any agreement on what's useful for a starter set either.

Some of the Wealden boxes were being remaindered last year, but IIRC they were made for an OEM order that was never fulfilled, and were rather an eclectic group of cutters. Have a look in their offers sectrion if it's still there.

E.

I use their picture frame bits and have no complaints, in fact the very large frame bit has remained sharp for over 100 lin/m in french oak which I was not expecting.

Mike

Back