We were there.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
VE1b.jpg
VE2b.jpg

Total coincidence, we were moving the filing cabinets and contents back in the 'office' after fitting new carpet tiles today, during the a long overdue check and pruning of contents the family archives came up with these newspaper copies amongst several others from past events.
I have memories of the street party and seeing the first bus bedecked with lights on the evening of the party. Unfortunately no images.

Attachments

• VE1b.jpg
    VE1b.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 383
  • VE2b.jpg
    VE2b.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 364
Was talking to my mum earlier today about her memories of VE Day - she was 14 at the time. Her recollection was that there wasn't much celebrating, the overwhelming emotion was one of relief that it was ended; though many still had friends and family on active service (or worse) in the far east. People were so exhausted by six grinding years of it, and so many had lost family members one way or another, and besides, there wasn't much to celebrate with, what with rationing and all. She says the services tended to be ones celebrating. Understandable, I reckon.

One thing she did say was that many people were glad to be rid of black-out precautions, and to have lights on again. She said there were hopes for the future, but nobody really grasped how long it would take to get things 'normal' again.

It was a conversation that put our current tribulations in perspective, for sure.

Cheshirechappie":2pny30yt said:
Was talking to my mum earlier today about her memories of VE Day - she was 14 at the time. Her recollection was that there wasn't much celebrating, the overwhelming emotion was one of relief that it was ended; though many still had friends and family on active service (or worse) in the far east. People were so exhausted by six grinding years of it, and so many had lost family members one way or another, and besides, there wasn't much to celebrate with, what with rationing and all. She says the services tended to be ones celebrating. Understandable, I reckon.

One thing she did say was that many people were glad to be rid of black-out precautions, and to have lights on again. She said there were hopes for the future, but nobody really grasped how long it would take to get things 'normal' again.

It was a conversation that put our current tribulations in perspective, for sure.

I head Max Hastings saying something similar on the radio, he said " those who suffered least, celebrated most and those who suffered most, celebrated least."

Makes sense I suppose.
My grandparents never spoke much about VE day, my grandmother had been alone for over a year at that point working in a munitions factory and living with the aftermath of the blitz and my grandfather was in SA and wouldn't be back for almost another year as the MOD thought he was dead and he couldn't get passage on a ship home. When he did get back they immediately tried to put him on a troop ship going to Australia to bring home soldiers, he (not very) politely told them where they could shove that!

Well, I WAS there (or so I'm told)!

I don't remember it, as being born late in April, that was the day my Mum says that she and I left the hospital after my birth (I don't know if there were any medical problems, but apparently, back in those days, it was the norm for mother & child to stay in hospital for a week or so after birth).

Talking years afterwards Mum told me that about the only things that really stuck with her was the buses suddenly having normal inside lighting (instead of dim blue bulbs), plus all the street lamps working again.

But I can well believe that those who suffered least celebrated the most - Mum actually worked as a nursing assistant in the hospital where I was born for some while before I was born - I believe the then Ministry of Labour directed civilians to the jobs where they were most needed.

Certainly a bit different to today (yesterday), even allowing for our current Covid situation

My wife, who was born here (Switzerland) in 1941 also remembers VE Day. As others have said, her overwhelming feeling was relief (she said she was very pleased to see her Dad again some month or two later). He was away for virtually the whole time, manning one of the Alpine gun sites. And she also remembers about a year before the end, when the "Amis" accidentally bombed Schaffhausen (nav error, it's right on the border with Germany).

Andy those " marks should be around accidentally. There is a lot of evidence that the raid was deliberate retaliation for the shooting down by the Swiss Air Force of several B17 & B25s for getting lost.

Is there going to be a public holiday for VJ day or is that going to be 'forgotten' as well?

Hi Droogs,

Yup, I've heard similar things, but "opinions" seem to vary about the "accidental" or not.

In fact "that" Schaffhausen raid was apparently one of about half a dozen or so, all close to the various borders, and all due to nav errors apparently (not all that unusual in those day - by all sides/air forces).

Apart from these "rumours" I've not heard of US bombers being actually shot down by the Swiss (who operated Bf 109s incidentally) but have heard of several off-course bombers (mainly B17s and B24s, but some RAF aircraft too) being "encouraged" by the Swiss to land, when the crews were interned (and then mainly ended up working on Swiss farms).

I've got a pic somewhere, taken around that time, of a whole row of B17s and B24s parked at Dubendorf after internment (D was then the airport for Zurich). Some certainly did bear some battle damage, though no idea by whom it was inflicted.

I'll have a look round in my PC, etc, and see if I can find it. If so I'll send you a PM copy if you're interested.

Back