We told you first (we hope)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Interesting snippet of info for you media hounds out there. As of today your favourite Porter Cable products will now be known as... Black and Decker. Shock Horror, but remember that it was a lowly woodwork mag (Good Woodworking to be precise but don't tell anyone!) that discovered this, even if we did just miss our deadlines and tell the world on UKW :lol:
Have a look at
http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin ... =20040721B
to read the story.

Hey Pete,
Yeah, read that in my Pop Wood newsletter this morning. How do you think that is going to effect us in the UK? Don't B+D own Dewalt ?(or did I just imagine that?)
cheers
Philly :D

Yep. Whether you now have a Porter Cable, a Delta, DeWalt, or Elu tool, it'll all be known in future as a Black and Decker :shock:

No idea how this will effect things here in the UK but we'll keep you posted if we hear anything

Pete,
Quick response there! :lol:
All we need now is for B+Q to merge with B+D and world domination will be complete!
cheers

Yes Pete,

Saw this yesterday on usenet:
http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20040 ... 13902.html
General concensus in the States is that it will be a good thing, especially if there is even a slight improvement in customer support which has been a big bone of contention for sometime. In the long term who knows what "strategies" will be introduced to boost shareholder value......
But I think, overall, it's good news, bearing in mind TTI (represented by Ryobi in the UK) had an interest in buying the company.
BTW Apparently AEG have Milwaulkee up for sale.

RGds

Noel

Nice bit of info there Pete. Hopefully it will mean more PC tools available through places like B&Q. And more competitive prices. Or am I being too postive!

Philly - why haven't I got a pop wood newsletter!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":oyhvcnyq said:
it will mean more PC tools available through places like B&Q

You mean more tools with a "PC" badge on it in B&Q? I can hardly see B&Q selling anything of a quality nature, it simply isn't their target market.

A few sticky labels with "PC" on them, over the top of their current range perhaps!?

Adam

Hell's teeth. :shock: So all that expensive PC badged kit suddenly becomes worthless B&D dross?! I may sue... :wink:

Thanks for the heads up, Pete. Erm, I too got it in my PWW newsletter... :oops: :lol: But hey, first with the news from a UK mag anyhow. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":1cmdhc5k said:
Pete,
Quick response there! :lol:
All we need now is for B+Q to merge with B+D and world domination will be complete!
cheers
If B&Q merged with B&D would they trade as B-B-Q d? :lol:

Hi Pete

I can understand the logic of B&D buying PC but surely they will retain the brand and not sell it as B&D.

They have owned the DW brand for a number of years and kept it as a separate identity because the DW brand has received value.

If they don't keep the brand surely they will be wasting their money in buying it in the first place.

Cheers
Neil

What Black and Decker will be doing with Porter Cable and Delta will be unknown for a few years. It is likely the PC brand will continue due to its posistion and following in North America. However outside North America where PC is not as strong, UK and Europe, we may see PC and Delta machines branded DeWalt.

Black and Decker can still spring surprises, most people where surprissed when they choose to drop Elu in favour of DeWalt. DeWalt will be here to stay, B&D has invested too much in the brand in the professional and trade market to drop it and call the tools B&D.

Malcolm

I can understand the logic of B&D buying PC but surely they will retain the brand and not sell it as B&D.
Neil
My comments regarding rebranding everything as B&D were meant in a lighthearted jocular sort of way, commonly known as a joke. Ha Ha :D

Oh well, please yourselves!!! :cry:

Pete,

You're just too good at the deadpan expression. :lol: Do what George Burns used to; puff on a cigar right after you tell the joke, just to make sure no-one misses it. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Pete

Pete Martin":1l2um0oo said:
My comments regarding rebranding everything as B&D were meant in a lighthearted jocular sort of way, commonly known as a joke. Ha Ha :D Oh well, please yourselves!!! :cry:

Well it was before 8am. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back