We now have Screwfix/Greggs/Toolstation next to each other

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a complex planning application I see,: : )

Plans have been submitted to East Devon District Council for a new aluminium roller shutter door, two new air conditioning condenser units and one extract grille to be installed at the Unit 1, in Reme Drive.

Never been in a Toolstation, much the same as S/fix? Used to pass through (or by) Honiton when on the 303.

The people who used to own Screwfix sold out to B&Q and then started Toolstation.
Martin.

Then Toolstation sold out to a large builders merchant
T/s were quite reasonable prices for a while but worth cross checking now

We have 4 Screwfix's around here now, getting a bit silly. We have 2 Toolstation's, they are within 50 yards of screwfix in both cases.

A Screwfix opened in our rural area in the past couple of weeks, It's going to be a godsend for those times you need something at 7 PM or on a Sunday! It might affect some local businesses, some of which are very good and I would still shop with them regardless and some of which can shove it! I went to buy some 2.5mm cabling from a local electrical factor (Which happens to be directly opposite the new Screwfix :lol: ) a long time ago and they wanted to charge me £20 more per roll than I could get DELIVERED from Screwfix (I had done some prior research) claiming that it was a "better quality cable". I don't care if it's a better quality cable, so long as it's up to the British standard it's up to British standard! and I told them promptly where they could stick their cabling and bought it from Screwfix, which so happened to be the EXACT same brand of cable.

I don't care at all for rip-off merchants.

Perhaps they’ve finally worked out a winning combination as Greggs & Screwfix have just opened up in a new block of units locally, there are still a few units left so chance for Toolstation to get in on the act.

Greggs? The Bakers?

Like Phil, I have enough timber around my waistline! A lot less than in October last, but still someway to go! :mrgreen:

John (hammer)

Cordy":xqpwbfht said:
Then Toolstation sold out to a large builders merchant
T/s were quite reasonable prices for a while but worth cross checking now

Bought by Travis Perkins in January 2012 it seems.
I never knew that.
Martin.

Sawdust is that the other side of the bridge from the Otter Inn! Ma sis in law lives in Weston!

I'm passing close by tomorrow, on my way from Taunton to brixham, but I doubt I'll manage to get two cars and a bunch of grandchildren to divert, even for a greggs sausage roll (or 5) :roll: :roll:

Bm101 yes thats right, i know the otter.
I can stand in the middle of the trading estate and within throwing distance their are 5 places you can
purchase kitchens.
Yep, my waistline and wallet are going to suffer, had a couple of Greggs cappuccinos but trying to keep away from the place now.

I generally like Screwfix but have one issue with them. If you order a machine (or any other high value item) and do a click and collect, they'll often give you a box that's been opened. I bought a sander and wasn't very happy with that and asked why a new item had been opened. They explained they have a real problem with their own staff nicking stuff so they have to check that inside this box there isn't a dewalt impact driver smuggled in for the ride. It's a bit annoying but can see why they do it.

Benchwayze":li5mwwta said:
Greggs? The Bakers?

John (hammer)

Depends on your definition of a 'baker', I guess ! I popped into a Greggs a few months back to see what all the fuss was about. Bought a sausage roll. At least, that was what the label said. I spat it out and threw the rest away.

There has been a Greggs, Toolstation and Screwfix within 50 metres of each other for several years in Bridgend, South Wales. Could it be deliberate?

RogerS":1t3u65mz said:
Benchwayze":1t3u65mz said:
Greggs? The Bakers?

John (hammer)

Depends on your definition of a 'baker', I guess ! I popped into a Greggs a few months back to see what all the fuss was about. Bought a sausage roll. At least, that was what the label said. I spat it out and threw the rest away.

They were experimenting with vegan sausage rolls a few weeks ago.

A smart bit of marketing if it is. I said to swmbo a couple days days ago as we drove past (a rarity in itself :D ) Screwfix and Toolstation that it has to be a good place to site a Greggs because many of the people who use them are building and maintenance workers, decorators etc. ........... who work with other people who also eat on the hoof.

Back