We bought a house to fill with hand made furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a couple of machines from a retired very accomplished cabinet maker who was selling his large cottage house to move down into a smaller bungalow, the man was very well known in the area (and further afield) for his kitchens and interior joinery work. I never got to see the inside of his house but I did have a nose at it online, there happened to be a video tour of the home and I was blown away with what was inside, It would be too difficult for me to describe in detail but luckily I have managed to find a couple of pictures online from when it was sold:

img_15_0_hd.jpg

img_2_0_hd.jpg

img_5_0_hd.jpg

img_7_0_hd.jpg

img_8_0_hd.jpg

img_9_0_hd.jpg

img_11_0_hd.jpg

img_17_1_hd.jpg

img_18_1_hd.jpg

img_19_1_hd.jpg

img_0_0_hd.jpg

All handmade (with machines of course) by himself and I assume his employees at the time, everything from the doors and windows, to the staircase and to the kitchen to even the conservatory. He was a very humble man to talk to and never let on he was this good at it.

I guess this is what Paul has in mind? :D

Crikey, that's very errmmmm woody ........... I think it would put off a lot of potential buyers. Too much.

doctor Bob":2i919aa7 said:
Crikey, that's very errmmmm woody ........... I think it would put off a lot of potential buyers. Too much.

It was on the market for 2 years @ £750K, he sold it got the full amount for it in the end. I suppose it would put off a long of people since there is SO much wood in it, it wouldn't bother me too much as a wood person but everyone is different.

I can see that some would find the woodiness a bit too much, but what a fabulous house! Reminds me a lot of many of the individually built houses found in Latin America.
Thanks for posting.
Duncan

shed9":2p2bw53m said:
I think I know that house Trevanion, is it in Carmarthenshire? If it's not it has a twin.

Southern Ceredigion area, it's really in the middle of nowhere! Proper single track lanes for miles where your mirrors are almost touching each hedge and that isn't an exaggeration :D

Trevanion":18q49ooe said:
shed9":18q49ooe said:
I think I know that house Trevanion, is it in Carmarthenshire? If it's not it has a twin.

Southern Ceredigion area, it's really in the middle of nowhere! Proper single track lanes for miles where your mirrors are almost touching each hedge and that isn't an exaggeration :D

I'm fairly sure it's the same one, I get confused on the borders between Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. The place I'm thinking off is also middle of nowhere down a single track. There is a small cluster of houses there which is how I know it, I recognise the glass frame.

I know someone there and first time I went I was convinced SatNav was taking the proverbial.

El Barto":359nwh6z said:
I don't really get it. Is he going to be living there or will he be selling it on?

+1 from the video it's hard to tell if sellers is actually moving in and it's his own property for his family or he's literally bought it just to build furniture for it, not complaining though, I will enjoy whatever furniture he builds.

I think what he is trying to replicate is someone who has just bought a house and desires to fill it all with furniture of their own making. So they'll be able to design it specifically for where it's going to be located. So there will be design aspects to the videos as well I suppose.

Can't say it's a common occurrence, but I think will be interesting.

Still not sure if this will be on his youtube videos or the paid membership though. I suspect the latter assuming it is a business purchase

I like Paul Sellers approach to woodworking: a few simple tools and lots of skill and knowledge. He's clearly an excellent teacher and communicator. However, I haven't seen any furniture that he has made that has ever inspired me. It's all rather dull and utilitarian, and, frankly, clunky, in my view. Interesting as it will be to see him fill this house, I'd be more interested in seeing one of the country's many designer/ makers do the same thing. Sam Maloof made his name at the start of his career by doing precisely this: filling his own home with handmade furniture, but, Sellers, excellent teacher that he is, is no Sam Maloof.

For all the house is perfectly nice (the video one), it's not exactly inspirational.
I would have thought a country cottage or even a more modern design may have suited the idea better and a bit more "stand alone".

MikeG.":3vtflsdz said:
I like Paul Sellers approach to woodworking: a few simple tools and lots of skill and knowledge. He's clearly an excellent teacher and communicator. However, I haven't seen any furniture that he has made that has ever inspired me. It's all rather dull and utilitarian, and, frankly, clunky, in my view. Interesting as it will be to see him fill this house, I'd be more interested in seeing one of the country's many designer/ makers do the same thing. Sam Maloof made his name at the start of his career by doing precisely this: filling his own home with handmade furniture, but, Sellers, excellent teacher that he is, is no Sam Maloof.

Each to their own I think. I personally can't stand designer type furniture, and very much welcome the more traditional type styles where practically and usage overrides looks! (it's furniture not a sculpture!) and I'd guess that most of his audience would be the same.

MikeG.":8cjjrvu6 said:
I like Paul Sellers approach to woodworking: a few simple tools and lots of skill and knowledge. He's clearly an excellent teacher and communicator. However, I haven't seen any furniture that he has made that has ever inspired me. It's all rather dull and utilitarian, and, frankly, clunky, in my view.

Agreed. His designs are downright hideous.

BUT, he is a fantastic teacher and I've learnt many things from his videos. I admire his simple, utilitarian approach to woodworking.

MikeG.":2jusditt said:

I feel the same about the stuff he produces. He is a good teacher but seems to lack a bit of zest

I'd have thought most people woodworking in their spare time are going to be older and more likely to be looking for traditional plain design. He is obviously focusing on stuff that's simple to build.

One of the things that I like about woodworking is the design aspect. If you are going to the trouble of making something custom built, having something that isn't just a highly traditional stuff that you see in shops is part of the attraction.

I like mid century modern design. Some of the joinery design in the Wegner stuff, for example, is very clever. Pretty tough to pull off that sort of thing.

The Watersacland school output has some incredible design. Their Instagram account is worth a look.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back