we are wrong

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, no scaffolding, very low chance of fall type injury.

But is there more material in the roof?

Very neat! What a good idea. Much easier doing it at floor level or all the stuff would have had to be lifted by hand from ladders and/or scaffolding.

Occasionally houses are made here with the roof being built on the ground beside. A crane brought in to lift it and place on top rather than the jacks used there. It is safer especially when it comes to shingling in frosty/snowy weather.

Pete

Seen existing roofs on low garages and sheds lifted using the lifted that are used to raise cars in garages. Never seen it as a design build from scratch before.

not on a windy day tho....lol....
helped a time or two with building the sides of a wooden framed house/w/shop...
a gang would turn up early on a Sunday morning and lift and fit all four outside walls.....
great fun.....
the women would turn up later with the B B Q.....what a great day had by all.....

With the British weather, building the roof first makes a lot of sense, especially if you want to use exposed structural timbers internally. I remember well the sleepless nights worrying that the rain and wind would damage the glulam beams.

I wonder whether it could be applied to a full 3 bedroom house?

I was hoping for something easily done at home, thought it might be levered up on some posts or similar. Definately like the idea of ground level roofing though, ticks all the health and safety boxes

Dr Al, that was fascinating, I watched it because I was about to say how dangerous it was to enter the top of those silos. Just like quicksand stand on the grain and you’re as good as dead. Ian

Back