We are hiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread (in parts). Top marks to Tadge for posting the opportunity. Clearly few are super skilled in everything, but I reckon I could do most of the things there with some signed off by another (eg gas). (I a not an applicant by the way :)). My brother (had he not had a stroke) is hopeless at woodwork, but he would have done all the gas, electric (both qualified), metal fabrication, welding, etc in his sleep. So there will be people around who could do it.

My brother had one of these VW vans which he fitted out (I made the cabinetry woodwork for him). He used to fit out barges when he was an apprentice and reckoned doing a custom van was music the same. They had most of their holidays in it. I hate camping but I know some people really get the bug.

Hope it all works out Tadge. Ignore criticism - it's the only way to succeed in business!
Yep boat building similar trades. One of my best guys was a boat builder by trade👍

My b.i.l was a ship's joiner by trade (he a handicraft teacher in NZ now) - he fitted out a nuclear sub in Devonport and went on a commissioning trip to Scapa Flow. He said subs were a nightmare to fit out as if doors, drawers etc. were a fraction to loose they would fly open all the time and if they were too tight they would jam shut due to the flexing of the sub.

Spectric - your post appeared immediately after Phil Pascoes and I got a laugh at your thinking about the 'modern house'!!!!

I think you’re posting in the wrong place, this being a traditional woodworkers’ forum.

I’d suggest that an all rounder experienced builder would be a better bet. Over the years I’ve hired some Polish builders on my flats that have a really broad range of skills, highly competent at carpentry, plumbing, tiling and electrics among other things.

Basically some of the better ones could do almost any trade to a decent standard. Then their electrics and gas work would be checked and signed off. Hard working guys too.

Does not give that company a very good image, basically looking for a jack of all and master of none. They do say you need to "Be a quick learner " but not how many people you can give CO poisoning or electrocute in the process of learning.

The real skill required here is the person making the wooden fit outs, and I have only met one person with that skill and he was a shipright but definately not a motor technician or qualified to install gas.
I'm a shipwright, and I can do all of that...

Back