We all need that little bit extra

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As I'm always looking for that little bit of extra space and storage I thought I'd extend the mobile base on my Xcalibar 807 so that I could have some storage underneath.

So off for some more angle iron and a couple of extra wheels, little bit of welding by the man next door and the results are below.
Xcalibar-807-001.jpg

Good place to store the Osbourne, tenoning jig, spare saw blades etc, leaving the top all nice and clear

Xcalibar-807-002.jpg

I have to say with just the four wheels on the base it was very easy to move around, nowit has six it seems a little easier.

Xcalibar-807-004.jpg

Just a final pic of the drill press table I made last time home, inspirastion came from forum members. Not sure yet whether I will have to put an extra piece of wood on the fence to raise it up a little, I'll see how I get on.

Xcalibar-807-003.jpg

OOh Nice work. The saw looks great, do you like it? I'm going to be in the market for something a bit more Heavy Duty soon.

Lee =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Waka,
That looks very neat and useful!

It is indeed useful to have a welding capability. I bought a small MIG welder from Machine Mart and whilst my welding looks pretty ugly it seems strong and thanks to a couple of clamps I can keep the angles straight with little distortion. It is very handy to be ably quickly to knock up a strong structure for stuff around the workshop as your pictures show.

syntec4":o08q7x6r said:
OOh Nice work. The saw looks great, do you like it? I'm going to be in the market for something a bit more Heavy Duty soon.

Lee =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Lee

I do like the saw and would happily recommend to one and all, it's the sort of machine you only buy once.

Now I've blown my trumpet about the Xcalibar it's still worth shopping around because there are some nice machines on the market as quite a few members will testify.

CYC":o08q7x6r said:
it's very handy to have a welder as a friend, isn't it

Andy":o08q7x6r said:
I wish I had a man next door who could do something useful

CYC/Andy

It is good to have a nieghbour who can do the metal bits, his view is that it's good living next door to a WW.

:D Now that looks good and so usefull I am in the middle of doing some along the same lines but out of wood and adding my router table on to it nice job on both items space is always needed =D>

martyn

Nice work on the mobile unit. I've been thinking about a welded frame too.

Chris, what size welder did you purchase, i'm 99% on the point to get one but it's again down to a size issue. (start new thread off topic if needed)

Andy

waterhead37":b1wtxdbd said:
Waka,
That looks very neat and useful!

It is indeed useful to have a welding capability. I bought a small MIG welder from Machine Mart and whilst my welding looks pretty ugly it seems strong and thanks to a couple of clamps I can keep the angles straight with little distortion. It is very handy to be ably quickly to knock up a strong structure for stuff around the workshop as your pictures show.

Chris

I haven't tried the welding bit yet but when I retire later in the year Metalwork Pete is going to teach me the basic skills to a level where I can put a frame together.

Andy,
The welder I bought was a 160EN turbo - it offers the following, according to the MM blurb on their site.

Multiple power settings from 30 - 150 amps. Welds mild steel to 6mm maximum thickness.
Turbo fan cooling for improved duty cycle.
Uses 0.6 / 0.9mm wire, up to 5kg spools.
Fully variable electronic wire speed control.
Thermal overload protection with auto reset. Unit operates from 230v, 1ph power supply (30 amps minimum).
Everything required to start No-Gas welding is included. Flux coated mild steel wire, professional style torch & hose, earth clamp & face mask.
Easy conversion to Gas welding with optional accessories. Full details & instructions are supplied.

I bought this model because I thought the dual purpose "No-gas" option would be useful (can weld outside in a wind). In point of fact I have never used it outside so this capability has been wasted. Of more use has been the ability to weld stainless steel and aluminium by using the appropriate gas and wire.

Physically it is quite small and takes up little space. An expensive but useful accessory was the auto-darkening helmet I bought which really helps striking the arc in the right place. My first project was to make up a welding table of angle iron for the legs and a 6mm plate for the top. I do most of my welding construction on this and when not being used for that I do my messy sharpening and odd bits of metal work on it.

Waka,

Given your skills, I reckon it will take you all of twenty minutes with a teacher on hand, to learn welding to that level.

Nice work Waka!
Guess extra storage space is always useful (especially with your "purchase problem" :wink: )
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Nice job Waka!

Though it's a smaller project, I especially like the drill press table. I've needed one for a long time and had ideas that just kept getting more involved and so never started. Yours is simple looking. I like simple.

Take care, Mike

Mike

The drill press table is very useful, having had the drill for about 8 years I thought it was time I made a little table, now I don't know how I managed without it.

I can't take all the credit i copied this design from one of the forum members.

Construction time about 1 hour.

Back