Waxing lyrical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
I like living out here in rural France.

Every Sunday morning I tootle into the next village to get my croissants for my breakfast treat. The bakers sells other things too such as locally produced honey.

There is a rather nice by product that some of you may know about. This 'ere lump of pure beeswax is about 8" x 4" x 2" thick. It cost me €3.

Scandalous rip off.

It may be a bit soft but the shine it buffs up to is fantastic. I might just do few shiny bits for a change.

Attachments

• 100_3860.jpg
    100_3860.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 900
Only trouble is Gordon, if the piece is something that is handled regularly it will dull down over time as the wax melts with hand heat.

CHJ":1mllnscr said:
Only trouble is Gordon, if the piece is something that is handled regularly it will dull down over time as the wax melts with hand heat.

Well they will just have to polish it then won't they. Can't encourage laziness in the housekeeping stakes!!

I've got some 'hard stuff' for the terminally lazy (hammer)

...and taking the pith!!

Yup, nice shiny finish but.....this is a lovely bit of yew but in spite of the ends being well sealed since the tree came down, there has been rather more drying out than I'd hoped. Lots of small radial cracks and the whole pith has separated.

The smaller one here was intended to be a companion piece to the big one except that the top bit flew past my right ear at a thousand miles an hour and shattered against the open door.

But it is shiny. :(

Attachments

• 100_3862.jpg
    100_3862.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 856
woodyturner":zvrhzbra said:
I really like them Gordon a good recovery on the small one and I just love the finish keep em coming but not flying LOL

Thanks Woody,

It made me a bit nervous as the visor for the mask has become a bit opaque so is orf at present. Good thing the lump of yew was small and the pot is obviously a bad shot :shock:

Whilst I'm having a yewy afternoon, here is another of the tall thingies inspired by David DeCristoforo in the States.

The stem is boxwood. It was going to be a candlestick but the cats decided to go ten pin bowling. The orginal stem was very thin indeed and didn't think much of the treatment it received from cats paw and floor.

The earlier vases were attempts to do this sort of thing without the thin stem. Not sure which I prefer, if either.

Attachments

• 100_3864.jpg
    100_3864.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 814
A little group off to the gallery tomorrow. Thanks to Woody for the inspiration of his Apricot box :oops: :oops: I thought it was really nice so I nicked the idea :wink:

Attachments

• 100_3865.jpg
    100_3865.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 804
gus3049":3tayghpa said:
A little group off to the gallery tomorrow. Thanks to Woody for the inspiration of his Apricot box :oops: :oops: I thought it was really nice so I nicked the idea :wink:
Good for you mate now I can nick you idea of the one with the tall thin stem I think that is a stunning piece well done and thanks to the cat LOL

Gordon , I do believe that you are getting bettered and bettered . It must be great to know that you are inspiring others to copy your work .

Hope your shiny right ear gets better soon ,, :lol: :lol:

boysie39":3jn1ytj2 said:
Gordon , I do believe that you are getting bettered and bettered . It must be great to know that you are inspiring others to copy your work .

Hope your shiny right ear gets better soon ,, :lol: :lol:
Thank you as always for your comments Eugene. Its a good thing I had an Irish grandmother so I understand everything you say.

Yes its true :shock: But then I am a bit of a mongrel, I have Irish, Scottish, Danish, French, Spanish and even English blood in there somewhere. The Irish side was Wilde!!

My love of puds and cakes is probably something to do with the fact the my ancestry includes the Boffins of Oxford who were famous cake makers apparently.

So you have a bit of an OSCAR in there somewhere ,the mind boggles as to how all the others fitted in .Would they all be involved in the arts do you think .
Anyway I do like the work you are showing of late ,the enforced break seems to have given you a lift ,long may it last.

boysie39":2gzzeh35 said:
So you have a bit of an OSCAR in there somewhere ,the mind boggles as to how all the others fitted in .Would they all be involved in the arts do you think .
Anyway I do like the work you are showing of late ,the enforced break seems to have given you a lift ,long may it last.

Most of my family have the artistic flair of the average house brick. My father was a fair artist although he was a meat buyer for Dennys (Irish company!!). We ate very well on the stuff he used to reject 8) :lol:

He did a load of sketches during the war that I must get from my sister. He had a tough time in South Africa with the supply corps.

Apart from him, its electronics or languages that seem to feature. I missed out on both of those as I take after my dad in both appearance and temper (somewhat laid back - unless a judge upsets me of course :twisted: :twisted: ) All the others take after my mother, she just gave me her ears - useless bloody things.

Glad you like my latest stuff. I am having to produce some things just to sell to the tourists so they can't be too expensive or 'arty'. Fortunately, the gallery owner also takes the stuff I like making and he has been selling them with increasing regularity. I rather like him. He seems to give me a plain brown envelope every time I see him, what a nice man 8)

Back