Waxing cedar of lebanon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a project but already need to consider what to do about applying a finish (if any) to drawer bottoms made of cedar.

I don't want to lose the aroma, but the drawer bottoms will have a central muntin made in the same material as the rest of the drawers which will have a lacquer applied to it - so not sure if two unfinished cedar panels either side of it would look strange?

Any thoughts welcomed :)

The general consensus regarding Cedar of Lebanon in drawers is that it defeats the object of using it if you put any finish on it. Traditionally drawers were left unfinished. If you want to apply a finish to the sides then avoid oils or waxes which can release odour for some time after it is applied. For the last chest of drawers I made I used an 1 coat of an acrylic varnish to seal the drawers.

HTH,

Steve

I have used Cedar of Lebanon both unfinished and sealed to protect the surface. Sealed, the wood stays clean and takes a decent semi gloss finish but no smell. Unsealed the wood does its aroma job but can take on surface dirt, but not as much as one might think due to its slightly oily nature. Traditionally, drawers used to be lined with plain paper to protect the surface yet still let the aroma through.
Bob

I've made a couple of turned boxes from Cedar of Lebanon.

The first one was a disaster as I tried to finish it with melamine laquer as I usually do for turned boxes. Looked great when it came of the lathe - the next day, the laquer had gone all sticky and didn't cure properly because of the oils in the wood - hmm sweet smelling firewood, I'm afraid.

The second one I finished with Woodwax 22 and that worked well and hasn't reduced the lovely scent that still wafts out on opening the box some 18 months later.

I must admit that turning the cedar was a truely fragrant experience :) My workshop had never smelt so good!

tekno.mage

Back