Waxing/black lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody suggest good waxes for sycamore wood, a natural colour and a darker mahogany type colour?Is the darker colour achievable with wax??And what do I do with thhe wax?

Also how can I achieve a lacquered look?Can I cheat using black paint and satin clear varnish or does there have to be a proper product???????

Any help would be great.

Chestnut make a spray on "Ebonising lacquer" which works well, you can leave it as is or wax over it.

Jason

Hi

Where you refer to a 'natural colour' do you mean a clear wax? There are several available and of course I'd recommend our WoodWax 22 Clear which will not change the colour of the original wood.
We have coloured waxes available too, from light brown to a dark brown, although if you're looking for a mahogany type colour they probably aren't red enough, although we (and others) have a large range of stains available.

For a black lacquer effect I can only agree with Jason, our Ebonising Lacquer sounds ideal as it will do the whole job in one.

The ebonising lacquer works really well.

How much abuse is the item you are making likely to receive? If its going to get a few dings then it may also be worth using a dark stain underneath so that if the surface does get a knock, you don't get the white of the sycamore showing through.

Cheers

Tim

Back