Wax over Danish oil , how soon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finishing a yew bow with Danish oil. I've been rubbing on each coat then waiting a few hours before knocking back any sticky residue. I loosely follow the rule of 1. (One coat an hour for day one, one coat a day for week one). I'm up to 8 coats, 5 coats on day 1, then 2 on day 2 and 3, then 1 a day until a good level of varnish is built up. How long should I wait before applying any wax?

I think you're going to have to wait a week or so. You should really only put on a coat per day as the oil dries mainly by oxidization, I think once it's hard to the touch then your good to go with the wax.
Cheers
Andrew

It all depends entirely on the environment you are keeping it in regarding temp and RH. Once you have applied what you think will be the final coat of oil give it at least a fortnight to cure, not just harden in a nice low RH warm room. Somewhere that is not only exposed to just the CH in the house. So the hall where the front door is as it being opened will slow down the drying and equalising process so that it does not happen too fast.

Back