Wax after oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like to make small keepsake boxes. I mostly finish them with Liberon Finishing Oil, but also plan to try hard wax oil.

After applying the oil, what type of wax do you tend to apply to give a more softer feel? I am looking for a Matt/Satin finish. Not glossy

Also, will the wax actually adhere to the oil finish? or will it just rub off over time?

The wax will adhere fine but I'd wait for the oil to cure as much as possible. I'm not sure how long that period would be, its been a while since I used finishing oil but I recall it can give off a bit of a bit smell for a while.
Wood wax 22 is pretty good and isn't overly glossy. Same with microcrystalline and that is more durable.

I'd recommend hard wax oil, Fiddes and Osmo do matt, clear and gloss so you could get your preferred sheen easier without waxing afterwards. Plus it smells 'nicer' than finishing oil.

edit: I've used Osmo and Fiddes for a long time but I recently tried Chestnut (which is labelled as gloss) but it takes a few coats, with fine sanding in between, before it starts to gloss so that would be an option if you want a satin finish.
Satin Osmo and Fiddes are nice though, never used the gloss or matt versions.

I like Liberon finishing oil because it is genuinely transparent. Osmo isn't and that opacity in the can translates to the finish. Arguably this hardly matters on timbers that have no lustre but it does with lustrous woods because it dulls the lustre, not hugely but the effect is there. The same is true of water borne finishes. Putting that aside, I don't see the point of adding wax. If left to harden properly, the level of sheen on any of these finishes can be adjusted by cutting back with very fine abrasives or 0000 steel wool or increased with burnishing cream or even T cut, to get the level of final sheen you want. Waxing will simply make it shinier but its effect is only temporary, it will dull as the wax oxidises. Why not start off with the level of sheen you want?

Jim

cheers for the comments guys. The reason for adding the wax, is the feel it gives. Hard to describe, but I find a wax finish feels more pleasant in the hands.

So I guess I my logic is, oil for a more durable finish as well as bringing out the grain, and then wax for the softer feel.

Hi folks, I have only ever used one wax which is Briwax and I can completely understand what you are saying about that "feel" after applying the wax and buffing it. It is as though you don't want to put the piece down that you have just finished. The smell it has is also great. I am working on some lamp posts and ukuleles for the society and use the Briwax for the final finish on them. Best wishes to all. JOE

Latest posts

Back