Waterstone board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my "waterstone board". The downside of using waterstones is that they can get messy with water slopping around. One of the tips I got from David Charlesworth's video was to use a spray water bottle (one of the ones made with gardening in mind) and mist the higher grit stones as needed. These stones are stored dry. The lower grit stones remain submerged in a Veritas Stone Pond, which is kept nearby.

Holding waterstones in place while honing was an issue before. I tried the "holders" that are sold specially for this purpose. They slide around. I tried router mats. Better - but they still slid around. So I have incorporated an adjustable clamp system into the waterstone board (for different size stones). I could have built in more than one, but I prefer just to use the one at a time.

The other issue is maintaining flat waterstones. I use King waterstones (800, 1200, 8000) and these respond well to 220 grit drywall mesh. The waterstone board incorporates this to the left of the honing area, with a clamp that holds the mesh at one end - this is sufficient to hold it flat (especially as it is also held down with surface tension when wet), and one end may be lifted to clean underneath or sop up excess water.

The waterstone board's surface is flat (carefully checked), and waterproof ( covered in laminate). It is solid and heavy (made from 65 mm chipboard). The front incorporates a stop so that it can be held on a benchtop in the same way as, for example, a shooting board.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=8843

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=8844

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=8845

My wife loves me again as I no longer need to use the laundry to sharpen blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek--

Neat set up. Got me to thinking about the possibility of using a scrap of solid-surface countertop material (e.g., Corian -- not sure if that's marketed globally). Main purpose in doing that would be to allow one to cut a small "trough" just inside the perimeter to prevent the mess from migrating off the board (like a kitchen cutting board grooved to catch meat juice). Guess one could do that with your design as well if the trough was well sealed.

Dave

Derek,

Although my sharpeners are not as exotic as yours I clamp up three cheapo diamond plates at the same time and then cruise across them to save time and effort putting a stone up individually.

Woody

I could have put in clamps for three stones as well. But grinding stones (the 800 and 1200) need to be kept immersed in water when not in use. It is easy enough to clamp the one you are using, remove and replace it when necessary. It is not a speed race, but proper maintenance and use of waterstones.

You really need to try waterstones in place of those diamond stones of yours, then you will discover what "sharp" means. The waterstones here begin where your diamond stones end!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back