Waterstone Advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or some people struggle even with things other people think are simple.
I am dyslexic so spelling is very hard my son has dyspraxia and would struggle hand sharpening.

But some people don't understand which is sad.

Pete

dissolve":2h63ntdw said:
I already have an eclipse type honing guide and I've had decent results using it...

Stick with it. I can sharpen by hand, and do so on "funny" blades, but on simple blades (e.g. chisels and planes) using the Eclipse guide gives me better results, quickly, and with perfect consistency.

About the only system that DOESN'T work for sharpening is constantly seeking a new, "magic" way of sharpening.

BugBear

I bought the Sigma Power ceramic 1000-6000-13000 special set from Tools From Japan, recently and I am very pleased, much better than my King stones, highly recommended. You also get a free Atoma diamond stone for flattening. I am getting the best edge on plane blades and chisels I have ever achieved.

I was a bit nervous about buying direct from Japan, but the reviews I read reassured so I placed the order and not tool long after they arrived.

dissolve":2573ipj7 said:
Yeah I think if I can set up a small grinder somewhere and just get it out when I need to, that could work. Is a 6" wheel too small a radius for grinding chisels/bench plane irons on?

I've read quite a lot about the heat build up, Is it not reccomended grinding chisels/planes on bench grinders?

A 6" wheel is fine. But here's three things to think about

1. Get one of the pink course wheels from Axminster, they're much better (ie run cooler) than the rubbish grey wheels that come with most grinders.

2. You'll need a dressing wheel to ensure your grinding wheel is flat and concentric, skip this step and grinding is a nightmare

3. Don't grind the actual cutting edge, that's when the risk of burning is greatest. Just grind the 25 degree primary bevel to within a mill or two of the cutting edge. If you colour the end of the blade in with a permanent marker pen it's easy to see where you're grinding away metal and to stop before getting to the cutting edge.

Back