Waterproof wooden shelf for shower cubicle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

We got our bathroom redone earlier last year. The effect we went for is wood design tiles in the shower cubicle. We didn't have the foresight or the budget to get some shelves done at the time.

We have been using a cheap metal one which tightens to the ceiling and floor, but would like something more permanent and in keeping with the rest of the decor.

If I were to use wooden corner shelves, what wood woukd be a strict no-no? What kind of waterproofing is required? Is it not recommended? Has anyone here done it?
Mind you, this will take a lot of water!

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I don't have any personal experience, but have been following a number of boat building on YouTube. The wood species I see most commonly used are purple heart, cedar and white oak. Then a marine varnish such as Total Boat should be good enough. At least UV damage wouldn't be a factor in a bathroom.

Epoxy would protect any wood species, if you wanted to go that route, but you'd need substantial coating on all surfaces, not just the show faces.

Two ways to view this.
Either use a super durable oily wood like Teak and just oil it a bit (or not at all). Just let it naturally dry.

Or use whatever wood you like the look of and completely coat every single bit of it in epoxy, fill any screw holes either with sealant or epoxy before fixing them.

If doing method one beware of staining, anything tanin rich like oak will make stains pretty fast.

Water will eventually destroy everything.

Ollie

Thanks guys.

Good tips there.

With epoxy, do you mean cover it like they do with the river style live edge tables?

Ah, fair enough.
Thank you :)

Is there a particular brand and place to buy this from?

I have used west system but it is quite yellow, there are different epoxies for different jobs.
Casting resins and more general purpose ones.

You probably want a fairly thin, slow setting one to prevent bubbles and provide clarity. Check out reviews of the different brands.

Ollie

I'd not be too confident with wood in a shower. While you can protect the wood from the moisture you can't protect it from the hot-cold cycle, this will make the wood expand, any protective coating will crack, possibly just on a microscopic level and moisture will start to get in, then the wood will expand some more and the cracks will get bigger.

Are you talking about shelves in the corner of the bathroom or shelves in the corner of the shower cubicle? If it's the latter, don't you need something that drains like a wire type does? Otherwise everything on them sits in mould-inducing puddles and eternal smelly damp patches. A google search for 'wooden soap dish' will get you started with design ideas to avoid that.

If it's in the cubicle, put simply don't use wood. If your bathroom, in general, is open to mould etc don't use wood. Practicality over your heart needs to shine through on this one. Use protected metal or glass.

Just a question to wiser heads, taking on board hot and cold cycles etc. I was wondering, in the name of science.... What about Elm burr? Just interested and not suggesting a solution. I'm of the same mind to avoid personally though I have seen some lovely wooden sinks. IF Elm was used for waterwheels etc was it constantly being wet and cold (stable) that led to its use traditionally?

I have a shelf in my shower (to put the toiletries on) and used Corian. You can work it quite easily with a router and if you need to join it the bonding resin is very effective and, provided you colour match it, you can' see the join.

It's been there for 20 years or more and shows no signs of degrading (see picture).

Corian comes in 12mm thick sheets so to get a bull-nose edge you need to double it up. If you want an upstand at the back, let me know and I'll sketch up how to make one with a fillet.
IMG_5279.JPG

I have a shelf in my shower (to put the toiletries on) and used Corian. You can work it quite easily with a router and if you need to join it the bonding resin is very effective and, provided you colour match it, you can' see the join.

It's been there for 20 years or more and shows no signs of degrading (see picture).

Corian comes in 12mm thick sheets so to get a bull-nose edge you need to double it up. If you want an upstand at the back, let me know and I'll sketch up how to make one with a fillet.View attachment 100764
A potential idea. Very nice!

Latest posts

Back