Waterproof finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone just purchased one of my wooden toy figures, but wants to know how she can make it waterproof? I'll be painting it with watercolours and coating it with olive oil and beeswax. She's purchasing it for an adult, so it doesn't need to be kid safe. She wants to know how this adult she's buying it for can make it waterproof. Any ideas?

There isn't actually a truly waterproof finish, except perhaps an epoxy finish that comes pretty close.

The best you could do is some sort of highly water resistant film finish. So prbably a good bet would be to do your painting with water colours, omit the olive oil and beeswax, and apply a decent varnish, lacquer or shellac. To avoid yellowing avoid using an oil based varnish and use a water based one instead. You could also apply one of the cans of spray lacquer or apply some shellac, either sprayed, wiped or brushed on. Any of these options would be suitable for the situation I imagine you are aiming for, eg, a toy that's looked at or diplayed rather than used and beaten up. Slainte.

Several coats of Melamine lacquer applied over the coloured un-oiled or waxed wood would be my best try.
Available in paint/wipe on form but the easiest is spray can application if you are not used to using it.

I've used it on Goblet internals and bowls that regularly get run under the tap to clean off fruit juices.

Just be aware that the usual spray can usage applies regarding avoiding runs or overspray frosting.

MGL.JPG

Back