Water, water, everywhere......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
So how's the water level where you are? Funny, but whilst it tipped it down on Sunday and yesterday up here in the mid Pennines we experienced no floods. But brother was it wet! Over in Sheffield they've not been having such a good time of it, poor so and sos

The oddest thing I've seen on telly, though, was the "expert" who was sayin we'd all need to start considering "flood-proof rendering" on our houses to stop the water coming in. I'm still wondering how he'll get round the need for air vents/bricks below the DPC to ventilate the sub-floor space on houses with floating (timber) ground floors?

Scrit

Scrit":23oe4wks said:
I'm still wondering how he'll get round the need for air vents/bricks below the DPC to ventilate the sub-floor space on houses with floating (timber) ground floors?

Snorkels? Like on Landys. Of course you'll also have to fit periscopes to all the windows, and enclosed stairways up and down again to all external doors.

Nick W":2lh30wno said:
Of course you'll also have to fit periscopes to all the windows
So should I be tooling up for a rush on snorkel-enabled sliding sash windows? :shock:

Scrit

One of my mates has sent me a video taken on his mobile. He works at the Citroen main dealer in Leeds. The video shows him almost chest deep in water, along with all the cars on the fourcourt and in the showroom. So If you want a cheap water damaged Citroen, you know where to go. :D

Absolutely torrential thunderstorms on Saturday - town was almost cut-off (in the space of about twenty minutes..) with severe flooding under our many railway bridges.
Rained nearly all day yesterday,but been fine (and at times,blue skies and sunshine :D ) today - in fact,was dry enough to mow the lawn this afternoon,so it's all gone somewhere..

Andrew

We are fine but not a quarter of a mile down the road houses have been evacuated as water was waist deep! I did have to re route to get to work this morning though! :shock:

as i live in darfield between barnsley and doncaster the main a635 was closed cos of the flood. all the residents were evacuated, here it is wed morn and their homes are still under water near the riverand they are 90% pensioners, but lucky for me i live at the top of the village. still it is terrible. :shock:

I was moaning last week about a tap leak that ruined a sink unit :roll: It's still drying out. I won't moan again after watching the news this morning, I don't think I have ever seen such flooding as widespread as this summer :shock:

I really feel for those people in Yorks and other flood affected areas. A couple of years back it was our turn in Chichester - not pleasant. Since then they've spent millions diverting the river Lavant which seems to have done the trick - for now.

All the best to anyone involved.

Newbie_Neil":3u7wtwmv said:
What's it like oop north?

The M1 is closed at Sheffield and they also closed the A1 this morning due to flooding.
That's the oddest thing. We had torrential rain over the weekend and all day Monday, yet no flooding, whilst Leeds, Sheffield and even Hull were submerged. Really freaky! I would have said that the millions they've spent on flood alleviation schemes up here in the past 4 or 5 years was been worth it, if the overflow "ponds" they'd built had actually been used, but they weren't

Scrit

The sad thing is that this keeps happening year after year, and yet so much of it is avoidable - the result of decades of misguided land and water management.

Yes, there has been some exceptionally intense rainfall, but the climate change experts were predicting this long before I entered the field, and even with relatively normal rainfall, we would still have problems.

I spent several years in the field - trying to get anything changed was like ](*,) . Disillusioned, I ended up leaving (now in software). :?

Dave

Back