water tolerant finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to consider a commission to build a bathroom vanity; client's specs are somewhat ummmmm.... weird (??)... Any recommendations for a non varnish based water tolerant finish....??

Mike,

You could use finishing oil. You can go from gloss to mat by changing how you finnish off the top coat.

Dave..

thanks for the heads up... strangely enough I already have some finishing oil, just never got around to trying it yet. Any opinions on its longevity??

Right now I can't be more specifuc about the materials 'cos neither I nor the client (it seems) have a clue what it is they want.. To date my only hint has been "something dark... nearly black"... Make of that what you will...

Bitumastic paint ought to cover both requirements Mike! :lol:

Mike
I used water based poly with good results-very water proof!
Bit weird in use compared to oil based finishes but good.
Cheers
Philly :D

I used water based poly with good results-very water proof!

I've grown knda gun-shy of poly since I found that the bloody stuff desolves long after its cured... canna say I'm too keen on the way it yellows either... Thesedays I tend to prefer ease of maintainence...

Bitumastic paint ought to cover both requirements Mike!

any idea what application technique I need to make that look like black granite..??? :p Kitchen (room nextdoor) is fulla the stuff... looks like a cover from an ideal homes magazine...

Back