Water Putty - 18 months too late

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.waterputty.com/

I got the link originally from A.B.P.W from someone who had made a box for an antique pistol. It looked really smart - the gun was inlaid to the putty which had been covered in blue felt - and I thought at the time it was a good idea. (Similar to the recesses you see in Engineers toolcases for vernier gauges etc)

I wanted to use some in a box for holding cutlery.

Anyone have an ideas where you can get it in the UK? I had a look around on google - but didn't find any good retail links.

Adam

Just the mess really, I got the impression this stuff was quite "clean" to use. I can just imagine getting plaster of paris all over the workshop :oops:

Adam

Well, I never found any water putty, so came up with an alternative solution, using a hot wire, polysytrene and some sticky-back felt.

I'd already finished the box when I posted my original message, its taken me this long to finish it :oops:

According to my photos - I finished the box in June 2004, and I'm reckoning I started it in September 2003.

Is that a worlds longest TUIT?

50047964.jpg

50047959.jpg

"Is that a worlds longest TUIT? "

Adam, I'm sorry to dampen your expectations, but you'll find it difficult to beat mine. I started carving a bowl for my wife when we'd been married a couple of years. We've just celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary, and my wife has forgotten all about it, but I know where it's hidden! :oops:

John, just a little embarassed!

I think it looks good too, Adam. How did you persuade the fabric to stretch so that fitted the contours of the polystyrene?

Gill

Chris,

I bought some adhesive felt, from a 'craft shop' attached to a local garden centre (Wyevale). Came in a roll, about 2' wide x 4' long. It is thinner than 'normal' felt, and was available in a range of colours. Only a couple of quid or so, IIRC. I imagine it is probably available at most decent craft shops.

Cheers,

Trev.

waterhead37":2zblq7sg said:
Adam,

Looks great anyway! Where did you get the sticky back felt? I shall need some in due course for a fitted drawer.

I found these people online - http://www.sew-simple.co.uk/

They appear to be a small shop that offers an "on-line" service. I rang them then to place the order in the end I think.

I decided by the time I'd made the effort, you might as well over order by quite a margin, as I'd already searched many local shops by then. I don't know how the prices compare but compared to trudging round town in the rain asking in every fabric/haberdashery/hardware shop it was worth every penny! I can't fault it for thickness/quality.

Prices:

Standard Felt By the Metre 60” Wide £6.00 Per Metre

Green Adhesive Felt
Ideal for Model Makers 100cm/39” Wide £9.99 Per Metre

Colours Available are:
Turquoise, Shocking Pink, Red, Yellow, Lime, Orange, Peach, Navy, blue, Dk Green, Black, White, Purple, Beige, Brown, Flesh and Moss Green.

Although blues not shown, I'd ring and ask - as I think they only mentioned having sticky back blue felt when I talked to them. The website isn't much help at all! You need to click on the "materials" section of the website for anything even remotely useful.

They seemed very friendly and helpful.

Gill":9t6zjy3z said:
I think it looks good too, Adam. How did you persuade the fabric to stretch so that fitted the contours of the polystyrene? Gill

Thankyou. Its a single piece over the top, through which I used a scalpel to carefully cut out the holes for the pieces. I then cut some strips, and then using a finger carefully smoothed it around the insides. I then used a scalpel to cut off the excess. Surprisingly the visible join/edge came out OK, although it could be neater.

I'd like to know if anyone has a better way of doing this type of thing? How do they mount antique pistols etc? Surely not like this?

Adam

Adam":1dpsmpe3 said:
I'd like to know if anyone has a better way of doing this type of thing?

Well I don't know if its better, but in the back of FWW there is usually an ad for flock. IIUIC, you spray glue on the inside of you box, tip in the flock, then shake out the excess. Never used it, never even seen it in this country, but then again, never had any cause to look for it. I bet the bigger craft shops (what's that one with the irritating jingle?- they have a big one in Nottingham) sell something similar.

The box looks great, Adam, do you have a pic of it closed? A canteen is something I have had on the back burner for years. We just have nowhere to put it, the dining room is full. At one time I thought I had a client ready to commission it, but they had a baby instead. I can't understand some people's priorities, myself.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":wq2zqk2s said:
At one time I thought I had a client ready to commission it, but they had a baby instead. I can't understand some people's priorities, myself.
:lol:

Proper job, Adam. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":11zg32zl said:
Proper job, Adam. :D Cheers, Alf

Thanks folks! :D

Actually gave it a wax this evening - and whata difference! It looks new again!! :wink:

Adam

Back