Water Damage on Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Established Member
Reaction score
I am at present helping a friend to oak panel a 60ft narrow boat in oak
we have had a problem on leakage on to the oak window surrounds I have made also onto the oak faced plywood we have panelled to the walls

I think the oak faced plywood will have to be replaced BUT
Does anybody have any suggestion on removing the water stains on the solid oak surrounds or hiding it

Many Thanks for any help
Regards
David Nevin :(

David
Have you tried wood bleach? It's used for removing grey weathering and iron stains from oak, I don't know if it also removes water stains. Could be worth a try. Liberon do it.

HTH
Steve

The other thing I have seen done (and done with some success myself) is to use a steam gun/ wallpaper stripper. It works a treat on green oak and at worst seems to even the discolouration on seasoned oak. Just give it a blast for a minute or so and you should see a positive change. I was shown it by a guy who makes his living out of making things in green oak.

Cheers

Tim

David
If the oak faced plywood has not delaminated, try using a very warm iron with brown paper between the wood and iron. Take your time it might lift out the water stain. It works on veneers and polished tops to remove stains from glasses etc.

Worth a try if you are thinking about replacing it anyway, good luck.

Les

Gents

Many thanks for you input we will try each one and hope
for good results
Will post how we got on , will start on boat in two weeks time
Its too B&8*() cold at the moment

Many Thanks
David Nevin

Latest posts

Back