Water (and other things) Divining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might just do that! I’ve found Roman pottery under my garden in the past, I’ll try holding a bit in my hand and quarter the area see what turns up.
how big's your garden, how accurate are we talking 100mm sq, 500mm sq, msq etc. If you know it's there maybe there are lots of bit's to find. This is what I mean about a controlled test.

I think I could dowse my garden for bricks and find one, seeing as how a demolished house is buried in it.

That’s an interesting tunnel, looks like you dug it through ironstone.
Lots of underground water? Try for electric cables, you can divine for all sorts of things.
Soon as it stops raining I’m going to see what’s under my garden.
Not much stone in that ground, mostly dab clay, the water was sitting there so was thankfully just a mucky job.
Partially inspired by El Chapo as it was around that time, and also the fact there is a run off from the sewer which could have been hit the other way.

Haha what’s up with you “non believers” ?

I’ve used this technique many times with great success. It’s got nothing to do with magic or mumbo jumbo. It’s just a natural phenomenon that really does exist and can be exploited for benefit just like the wind or the Earth’s magnetic field.
You don’t have to “believe” for it to work any more than you have to “believe” to be able to sail across the ocean or navigate with a compass 🤣

I might just do that! I’ve found Roman pottery under my garden in the past, I’ll try holding a bit in my hand and quarter the area see what turns up.
I've found all sorts of ancient bits of broken things in my gardens and i didn't even have to dowse for them! In one I found a Record No6 vice. A bit rusty but was usable. A much rarer find than roman pottery

Haha what’s up with you “non believers” ?

I’ve used this technique many times with great success. It’s got nothing to do with magic or mumbo jumbo. It’s just a natural phenomenon that really does exist and can be exploited for benefit just like the wind or the Earth’s magnetic field.
You don’t have to “believe” for it to work any more than you have to “believe” to be able to sail across the ocean or navigate with a compass 🤣
I find the whole subject fascinating. I've always has an interest in this and lay lines and magnetic areas and the like. So much we just cannot explain.

I remember a story years ago of some bloke who picked a lay line to top himself on, possibly thinking there would be some connection with a spirit world or such.
I've been on the Astral Plane, and once you've made that trip, nothing seems unbelievable any more.

Oooh er! Well that’s something else altogether. Open to new things, so please do tell.
It was in my yoof, experimenting with mind altering substances. In this case psilocybin. Apparently the usual dosage is a handful of the mushrooms, I took Shaman level of about half a kg.
Full visual hallucinations body and mind in complete separation.
I've no idea how or why this sort of imagery is locked up in our brains
Try reading here
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...2005/psychedelics-and-the-out-body-experiencehttps://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...ut-body-experiences-mine-is-finally-explainedMuch of what is being described by the subjects is the same experience i had. I think it best you read it rather than rely upon my rather fantastical tale. Plus they've more eloquence than me in their description.
“an experience in which you seem to perceive the world from a location outside the physical body”

Very very strange and tbh a bit frightening. For me i felt my consciousness leave my physical self* and travel upwards, through the solid walls of the house ever upwards. The space bit was the weird bit as you seem to view the planets off to the side of you(in my case to the left of me) and as we know the astronomical distances between the planets, the perception is that you are moving at tremendous speeds.

The visuals of geometry and fractals were bizarre, and it didnt matter if i had my eyes open or closed(Closed was actually more intense) This was about 30 years back and most of the experience is lost, but some of it is still clear and still so out of this world' its left me feeling theres ore going on in humans,nature and the universe than we'll ever understand only to say we are connected to it.

*Cant state this enough. There only appeared to be my mind in the experience, my body and the sensations of it were completely gone. It started off as a vibration in my legs, and traveled throughout into my torso, arms, head even my lips,ears and nose seemed to be connected with this sensation, but gradually the sensation though still strong throughout me seemed less important and my mind seemed to come to the fore.

Last edited:
Around 1975 I bought a very old house in need of full restoration and two things I needed to find were the incoming water supply route and the sewage drain. Both were unclear as I wanted to replace the lead piping for the water supply and re-route and relay the sewage pipe for the extension I was planning on building. I was chatting to a very elderly gentleman two houses away from the one I bought and mentioned my problem and he came around and used dowsing to find both for me and he was accurate.
Like many people I too was sceptical about dowsing but I couldn't dismiss it merely as luck as he was spot on and he even showed me how to do it for myself.

Since then on more than a couple of occasions I've also used dowsing to find drains and water supplies on other properties or land with remarkable accuracy too.
I have a degree in Geophysics so my penchant is for science to explain things and not superstition, therefore I don't subscribe to most of the mumbo jumbo I come across in day to day living but I have tried dowsing for myself with success. I don't pretend that I can explain how it works, I only know that it does.

Whether everyone has the innate ability to dowse is another issue entirely.

I have experimented a bit with dowser's twigs just from a mechanical point of wiew and found that the stresses in the twig when held in dowsing position makes it highly unstable so that it reacts to miniscule movements in your hands. Whenever you loose concentration ever so slightlyor step on an uneveness in the ground it will strike. Whenever you expect it to strike it will strike as well because you tend to do slight unconcious movements when you eagerly await a strike.
That is the simple science behind it. Walk across an even field where a slight depression where a pipe has been buried and the twig will strike when you step into the depression.

I suggest that you get a couple of metal coat hangers, the type dry cleaners use and snip a length out of each of them to make a pair of rods and if you are worried about human interaction sleeve the bit you hold in your hand in a piece of metal tube. It actually seems to make the rods very sensitive.

I suggest that you get a couple of metal coat hangers, the type dry cleaners use and snip a length out of each of them to make a pair of rods and if you are worried about human interaction sleeve the bit you hold in your hand in a piece of metal tube. It actually seems to make the rods very sensitive.
You also have to dig and see if you have actually found something you were expecting - not just any old bit of medieval pottery or a ring pull!
Also ask how is it that metal detectorists are so successful, considering that dowsing has been going on (supposedly) from the year dot.
I'd put my money on these two any day. Dowsers wouldn't get a look in!

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 12.49.26.png

Last edited:
If it works at all I expect it's because we mentally put together various clues, some of them unconsciously - barely noticeable little hints like crop marks etc. The main thing seems to be finding things which were expected in the first place, so there is a high probability.
Years ago I was into stone circles - having found a previously unrecorded example and getting it on the record. Y Capel stone circle – when will this madness stop?
We were told by locals that it was there up the valley somewhere but it took days of wandering about to locate it - because we didn't know exactly where to look.
I know now, obvious really - they are always near the top of a hill or even a shallow rise, but never actually at the very top, and they are always in spectacular landscape settings, the sort of place you'd stop for a picnic at least. Even in flattish landscapes they chose a strategic spots with the ground falling away to some extent. Have looked at dozens of circles in UK and Ireland too. Fitted it in with cycle touring
As a result my view of landscape has changed and find myself on the look out, especially when you get to the right sort of spot, and in fact that's where you find things - not necessarily unrecorded though!
"Tuning in" but not in any mysterious way.
I might have found one other but haven't been back - a shallow rise in a peaty moorland landscape and the sense that this was the sort of place for a circle. Lo and behold - one isolated stone sticking up just above the peat, just near the top of the rise, in an otherwise stone free area. If I went back I'd poke around with a rod to find any others under the peat.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I was working on the foundation for a new sauna for a well known dowzer hereafter called D. While we were at it D used those rods around the worksite and found a line of some sort that passed where the sauna stove and the chimney were to be and that caused lots of worries as D knew that would have an ill effect. The trech was already backfilled and we were about to start work on the shuttering for the concrete footing. D went inside to take care of some other business and while D was out of sight for a few hours I moved the marks that D had made to show us the position of the line so that the line coresponded with the shuttering we were assembling for a load bearing. D came out again to check the position of the line using the rods and of cause found it to correspond with the marks as I had positioned them.

A few years ago, I needed to find a buried water pipe in a 150 yard run across my small holding. I had already expended a lot of energy digging down 4 feet for a length of about 20 feet, with a spade in the most obvious place it was likely to find it. No luck, so a friend came round to show me how to do dowsing. We tried for ages. No luck. So I bought a backhoe to go on my tractor. Found it (breaking the pipe in the process, but worth it,
!)

Back in the 70’s a group of us bought a building site, split it up in to individual plots and each built our own house on our own plot, living in caravans on site. Initially bringing in water in containers which was no problem to me at the time. One guy had children and a flash mobile home (compared to my old 22 ft caravan) and was keen to get mains water quickly.

There had been an old house on the site but no visible signs on the surface. In the verge was a stop tap so we thought there was a pipe somewhere in a mass of old fences and undergrowth. Looking at digging a series of trial holes but would have to wait for a machine on site. Someone suggested dowsing so I got a couple of welding rods bent them at 90 degrees and wandered about the undergrowth, not a clue what I was doing, there seemed to be location where they crossed over. I marked the spot and left the guy with the mobile home to it, not expecting him to find anything. He dug down and very shallow, about a foot down he found the pipe. We ran a pipe in to all the caravans and also used it for building water.

It was in my yoof, experimenting with mind altering substances. In this case psilocybin. Apparently the usual dosage is a handful of the mushrooms, I took Shaman level of about half a kg.
Full visual hallucinations body and mind in complete separation.
I've no idea how or why this sort of imagery is locked up in our brains
Try reading here
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...2005/psychedelics-and-the-out-body-experiencehttps://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...ut-body-experiences-mine-is-finally-explainedMuch of what is being described by the subjects is the same experience i had. I think it best you read it rather than rely upon my rather fantastical tale. Plus they've more eloquence than me in their description.
“an experience in which you seem to perceive the world from a location outside the physical body”

Very very strange and tbh a bit frightening. For me i felt my consciousness leave my physical self* and travel upwards, through the solid walls of the house ever upwards. The space bit was the weird bit as you seem to view the planets off to the side of you(in my case to the left of me) and as we know the astronomical distances between the planets, the perception is that you are moving at tremendous speeds.

The visuals of geometry and fractals were bizarre, and it didnt matter if i had my eyes open or closed(Closed was actually more intense) This was about 30 years back and most of the experience is lost, but some of it is still clear and still so out of this world' its left me feeling theres ore going on in humans,nature and the universe than we'll ever understand only to say we are connected to it.

*Cant state this enough. There only appeared to be my mind in the experience, my body and the sensations of it were completely gone. It started off as a vibration in my legs, and traveled throughout into my torso, arms, head even my lips,ears and nose seemed to be connected with this sensation, but gradually the sensation though still strong throughout me seemed less important and my mind seemed to come to the fore.
Thanks for the description but not really my thing, I’ll stick to my own version of wierd- dowsing.

For me i felt my consciousness leave my physical self* and travel upwards, through the solid walls of the house ever upwards. The space bit was the weird bit as you seem to view the planets off to the side of you(in my case to the left of me) and as we know the astronomical distances between the planets, the perception is that you are moving at tremendous speeds.
That sounds like one hell of an experience! Just shows what the mind is capable of with a bit of chemical enhancement.

That sounds like one hell of an experience! Just shows what the mind is capable of with a bit of chemical enhancement.
Much of this type of experience have been recorded across the world and have references in religious mysticism, including Christianity and are in the bible, as well as American Indian culture.
I think during Mans search for foodstuffs someone way back ate something that contained the alkaloids and were blown away by it.

Although I think due to peoples negative view of today's drugs they form a misconception.

Back