Water (and other things) Divining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy made his living sinking wells - I don't suppose for one moment he paid the diviner for fun.

Why would the water board need someone to tell them where the water mains are? They put them there.
Actually they often don't know especially with old ones, and drains too. I've had this prob several times - stuff unrecorded or even non existent with drains going into soak-aways etc.
Ditto old gas pipes. We had an old meter here still connected to a pipe but out of use. Had to get gas board man in to check it out in case it was still connected to the mains. They had no record of it. Turned out to have been cut off years ago and the meter was so old it ended up in the The National Gas Museum in Leicester! Permanent loan - still mine if I find a sudden use for it!
http://www.nationalgasmuseum.org.uk/

Last edited:
Yes, I have read that water companies use dowsers.
Not a believer myself, but not going to argue.
I've read that millions of people take homeopathic remedies but I don't believe in them either.

I have experimented a bit with dowser's twigs just from a mechanical point of wiew and found that the stresses in the twig when held in dowsing position makes it highly unstable so that it reacts to miniscule movements in your hands. Whenever you loose concentration ever so slightlyor step on an uneveness in the ground it will strike. Whenever you expect it to strike it will strike as well because you tend to do slight unconcious movements when you eagerly await a strike.
That is the simple science behind it. Walk across an even field where a slight depression where a pipe has been buried and the twig will strike when you step into the depression.

for those of us who can do it we’re just glad that it does work, and as we will never convince you there’s no point trying, just leave you to your 5 senses whilst we enjoy our 6th
It's not a case of having to be convinced. I am genuinely interested in it. I believe that there is something in it, but I like to try to find explanations in science. Our body has sensors to pick up electromagnetic radiation at very low levels, so there might be some other sensors which are long dormant, but still there.
I have had a few 'paranormal' experiences. Most of them, I have had an explanation for, but a couple of them they still baffle me.

Oh well, for those of us who can do it we’re just glad that it does work, and as we will never convince you there’s no point trying, just leave you to your 5 senses whilst we enjoy our 6th. Ian

I have to say I'm incredibly impressed that you can dowse for ancient reindeer droppings, occasionally I can sniff Bull.

Don't worry too much about me, I'm very very sceptial and have a no nonsense approach to life. I don't believe in any of it.

Skeptism is a very lazy approach to the wonders and mystery of life.

No it really isn't. I'd love you to convince me, just seems np one can do it when there is an audience or a control in place.
I've had plenty of wonders and mysteries and they really are over rated.

It's not a case of having to be convinced. I am genuinely interested in it. I believe that there is something in it, but I like to try to find explanations in science. Our body has sensors to pick up electromagnetic radiation at very low levels, so there might be some other sensors which are long dormant, but still there.
I have had a few 'paranormal' experiences. Most of them, I have had an explanation for, but a couple of them they still baffle me.
I also like scientific explanations but in this case it seems the scientists are a bit slow off the mark.
I think you’re right about long dormant senses, I feel that originally we would have been able to pinpoint without the use of aids, twigs rods, pendulums do nothing in themselves, they’re used to display the movements in our hands which is driven by our brains.

Is there not some animals that can do this, elephants can remember where the water is,
livestock and other animals can feel thunder, and whatnot,
I guess there is some animal which actually burrows to find water too?

Would love to try, but the place is full of springs so it would definitely work.
:giggle:
Glad I didn't hit one when doing the house drainage, phew!
P9100032.JPG

No it really isn't. I'd love you to convince me, just seems np one can do it when there is an audience or a control in place.
That does seem to be the case, inconvenient or what! Why that should be I haven’t the faintest, but obviously it does open us believers up to criticism, at the very least.

That does seem to be the case, inconvenient or what! Why that should be I haven’t the faintest, but obviously it does open us believers up to criticism, at the very least.

I just want to clarify, I don't disbelieve you Ian, I'm sure what happened, happened. However, take mediums for example, can seem plausible but all are fakes.
Your example, would seem perfect to film, a group of amateurs taught how to do it, finding old posts, droppings, iron wheels, amazing. Why not just film it.

Is there not some animals that can do this, elephants can remember where the water is,

Would love to try, but the place is full of springs so it would definitely work.
:giggle:
Glad I didn't hit one when doing the house drainage, phew!
View attachment 121169
That’s an interesting tunnel, looks like you dug it through ironstone.
Lots of underground water? Try for electric cables, you can divine for all sorts of things.
Soon as it stops raining I’m going to see what’s under my garden.

I can remember where water is as well. some animals can smell dampness.

I just want to clarify, I don't disbelieve you Ian, I'm sure what happened, happened. However, take mediums for example, can seem plausible but all are fakes.
Your example, would seem perfect to film, a group of amateurs taught how to do it, finding old posts, droppings, iron wheels, amazing. Why not just film it.
I might just do that! I’ve found Roman pottery under my garden in the past, I’ll try holding a bit in my hand and quarter the area see what turns up.

Latest posts

Back