Watch where you put those biscuits!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

In another thread I have placed pictures of my current project, 2 bedside cabinets.
This is the first time I have tried to make rail and stile doors with raised panels.

Well, I bisuit jointed some planks to make the door panel and cut to size before running through the raised panel cutter on the router table. You guessed it. The biscuits in one panel were too near the edge :cry: :eek:

Result=

Biscuit_in_raised_panel.jpg

Lesson leaned and another panel glued up :roll:
Cheers

Tony

Tony,
Can't beat those "DOH!" moments, can you.
Your'e not alone there!
I particularly like the articles in "American Woodworker"-when they make a boo-boo whilst building their projects they print it in a separate box. Nice to know we are not all perfect, isn't it :roll:
Cheers,
Philly

nice to know I'm not the only one :)

I've a nice jointed table top where i trimmed the end back further than I expected and cut through the biscuit. I was lucky and managed to cover it up with a contrasting inset veneer butterfly so it looks like a "feature"...can't think how you might disguise this one though...

Me too, cut in to find an exposed biscuit. :roll:

Makes you more careful next time!!!

Adam

asleitch":3juu0xih said:
Me too, cut in to find an exposed biscuit. :roll:

Makes you more careful next time!!!

Adam

Definitley will be more careful next time. When you make the mistake yourself rather than simply reading about it, it sticks

Don`t you think it adds a nice bit of character to the panel..........Sorry. :(

sp is it a gloat cos you had a few over :D or is it to fool any burglars :twisted:

frank

And those locks aren't just quick and easy to fit either!!
You had to be boobing for a good ¼-hour there!
Most impressive.

At least you can lock the door in the open position fairly effectively.

Good one SP

Would we have noticed if you hadn't mention it.

Can't put any of my boobs on the site, cos I don't know how, anyway there's too many.

I remember Philly talking about an exposed biscuit, was I hearing right?

Don't worry Tony, I doubt theres very few that use biscuits that haven't made the same mistake, I know I have.

Waka

Snap Tony
I had the same mistake on my 1st raised panel doors.
From then on I decided to Measure in before cutting the biscuit slots to make sure they stay away from the panel raising bit.
I was lucky because the panels were raised on both sides so the biscuits only showed through sligtly & I was able to hide them inside the door after using some filler & stain to try to hide the worst of it.
Now it's only me that notices the booboos.

An update!

I made a new panel and THIS TIME I measured the biscuit position :)

Nice one Sawdust,
Its amazing what the threat of the Internet can do.......
Yes, I managed to cut through a "Dowel" when making a table top many moons ago. Now that takes some doing.................DOH! :shock:
Its all good practise!
Keep up the GOOD work,
Philly

Back