Watch the birdy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Not all turning is arty or serious woodturning sometimes it is making something just for the fun of it.
This bird cocktail stick holder is made from Ash ad American Black Walnut. Finished with cellulose sander sealer and Melamine lacquer, it stands 4 1/2" tall

DSCF1803 (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1803 (768x1024).jpg
    DSCF1803 (768x1024).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 358
Very nice Derek.
I made a few & gave one to my daughter's boyfriend's mother who ran a furniture shop. She asked me to make some for her to sell but that would take the pleasure out of it for me. I did make her a couple just for display.

Robbo3":37gfz6ml said:
….... She asked me to make some for her to sell but that would take the pleasure out of it for me.....
I'm with you there Robbo, a common occurrence I'm afraid, the pleasure of a 'new project' is very quickly lost in the chore of procurement of suitable wood and time spent for someone else to get more comercial benefit from your efforts than your personal pleasure.

Passing on some pleasure to others from your hobby is one thing, 'working' for others is a different life style. I've had these requests several times when giving an item for a gift or charity fund raising, few people have any idea of the real cost of 'hobby' production.

Apologies Derek for hijacking you thread.

CHJ":17llv0xh said:
Passing on some pleasure to others from your hobby is one thing, 'working' for others is a different life style. I've had these requests several times when giving an item for a gift or charity fund raising, few people have any idea of the real cost of 'hobby' production.

Apologies Derek for hijacking you thread.

No problem Chas. I agree I have had people ask about making a second of something but many things I make are one-offs. There are one or two things that I will make more than one and that is the little birdhouses as these make use of the little pieces of wood that would otherwise be binned.
However, I am looking at making other cocktail stick holders in the form of other animals but that is just a challenge rather than just making masses of them, I just enjoy the making Yes I do sell overstock of my work as it helps keep the workshop stocked with any tools that I may need, and sometimes make the odd thing for the events( I only do about 3 or 4 a year can't be botered with any more than that).

Latest posts

Back