Waste oil Burner problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get some advice on my waste oil burner for my little foundry thing wot I made?

I am atomising 80% cooking oil and 20% petrol. It works alright, it’s a bit bonkers. but it is “pulsing“ rather than producing a constant flame. See vid.

it would be great if I can get this working for casting brass. No end of tool parts to be made.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0619.MOV
    17 MB
Interesting. I am no expert on this but have tinkered with DIY gas fired furnaces in the past. It looks like you have built something akin to a 'pulse jet engine' there. For me the first question is whether the burner produces a steady flame in free air. If so, you need to look at the design of the 'furnace body'. My gut feeling (and that's all it is) is that your exhaust is much too small in comparison to the volume of the gas bottle furnace. That results in the bottle and the burner fighting with each other - it looks like the bottle fills with unburnt fuel, 'explodes' , nearly snuffs the flame then the cycle starts again.
If the burner is unstable in free air then obviously that has to be addressed first.
It's an interesting project and I'd like to know how it goes on.
Regards, Bob.

That’s really interesting Bob ….. in fact it did remind me of the jet dragster at Santa Pod!

I had assumed that it was going out, and then reigniting as more fuel went into the hot chamber.

I will try it in free air. I had been reluctant to do that, because when I did that before I covered the entire garden in a thin film of cooking oil. But that was before I added the petrol to help with ignition.

I will try it this morning and report back.

Steve

Getting closer… still haven’t melted the brass though.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.MOV
    47.5 MB
Back