Wasps Nest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have some new uninvited guests ,they are playing havoc with me as my concentration levels have decreased dramatically while using my tools and equipment; i.e. one eye on these little flying beasties and one on the task in hand; not good
Question; what’s the best way to be rid of them
Their home seems to be in the cavity, with their access through a wall vent; my access to them is very difficult. Fly and wasp spray just seems to turn them into Mike Tyson for a few minutes then they all come out to see what’s going on; I think; I wasn’t taking my brave tablets to hang about long enough to count how many’s their but it’s a lot
Now I think I’m on their number 1 hit list

On the plus side they have given me more exercise than I have done in the last 10 years combined, every time I see one now I pass ‘Linford Christie’ on my way out

Has anyone here successfully moved a nest?
Preferably without killing them?
I don’t want them p***** off more than they already are

Your help will be appreciated and allow me back into the workshop

Ian

[Adam, with his beekeeping hat on.....]

Wasps get more annoying this year as their traditional food sources are starting to run out, so they switch to raiding sugery foods, canned drinks etc.

The nest will die out altogether shortly, as the season ends, so if you can wait, a bit longer (a few months) and then seal the hole you should not have any problems next year. If you do, you really need to seal if very well.

Only the queen survives the winter, tucked into some treebark or similar location - the previous years nest dies out altogether. So if you can put up for a few more weeks, their natural lifecycle will cause them to die out. (or knowing that, you could just accelerate the process!)

If you can leave them be, they will die out before long. You can get a powder which you shake at the enterance, (with a poison in it). They eat it due to it's sugery taste, and then feed it to other wasps back inside the nest.

Adam

We had a wasps nest in the roof once; I remember it well 'cos it was right over my bed and I was about 10 with a vivid imagination. :shock: The advice we got was to wait until the winter when it all goes quiet, enclose the lot in a bin bag and bin it.

Cheers, Alf

Ah, Adam's beaten me to it. Never mind, at least the advice agrees sort of!

Alf":17svf52k said:
We had a wasps nest in the roof once; I remember it well 'cos it was right over my bed and I was about 10 with a vivid imagination. :shock: The advice we got was to wait until the winter when it all goes quiet, enclose the lot in a bin bag and bin it.

Cheers, Alf

Ah, Adam's beaten me to it. Never mind, at least the advice agrees sort of!

If you need to do this in the "active" season - if access is good, you can get a bucket, with some washing up liquid (to break the surface tension), that has a lid, and with a quick swipe, break the connecting comb joining it to a roof bar or whatever, into the bucket and immediately stick the lid on. They'll all drown. I'd not reccomend this in any way, but it is possible.

Adam

Ian Dalziel":2evzdhge said:
Fly and wasp spray just seems to turn them into Mike Tyson for a few minutes then they all come out to see what’s going on; I think; I wasn’t taking my brave tablets to hang about long enough

Just remembered, they might be getting upset as the ones returning from foraging, find something in front of the nest enterance, as much as new ones come out to find out whats going on. You should always stand to the side so they have clear access whilst you are doing this. This allows easy access in and out, and stops them getting grumpy.

You can also try a vacuum, like this:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/built/insane.html

You have to scroll down a bit,

or:

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/wasp_traps.htm

Hoep that helps.

Adam

asleitch":2ss3ap04 said:
If you need to do this in the "active" season - if access is good, you can get a bucket, with some washing up liquid (to break the surface tension), that has a lid, and with a quick swipe, break the connecting comb joining it to a roof bar or whatever, into the bucket and immediately stick the lid on. They'll all drown. I'd not reccomend this in any way, but it is possible.

would definately need the brave tablets for that one adam

you mentioned a powder earlier do you have a name for it and where i could get it from

i would prefer to be rid of them sooner rather than wait

cheers
Ian

Ian Dalziel":yeuksl01 said:
you mentioned a powder earlier do you have a name for it and where i could get it from

i would prefer to be rid of them sooner rather than wait

cheers
Ian

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/p ... ODID=22764

I'm thinking of this stuff - certinaly available from B&Q.

Company website here

http://www.doff.co.uk/products_pest.asp

Please be very careful using it however, bees like it as much as wasps, so don't use it anywhere other than the enterance to the nest if possible.

I'm sure there are specific instructions on the packet.

Adam

Hi Adam

I'd seen the brand new building that Doff are in many times, as it's about three miles from my office, but I didn't realise exactly what it was that they did.

Perhaps a change of route is called for. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Ian,

Rather than run the risk of getting stung to b*****y, what about phoning the council and find out if they have a pest control officer who can deal with it?. My sister had the same problem a few weeks back. The council dealt with it for a very reasonable £42. Money well spent in my opinion.

Ike

My council will not help with this type of pest control, so we had to get contractors in. We paid about £35 but it was definately worth it. My bxxxxxxxxs were killer french wasps over 40mm long. and they were very angry when the returnees came back and found their lovely home was in ruins.

Cheers Ike,
I phoned the council but they cant get someone round till this thursday;- doohh

i've been to the biggish diy stores and got some powder to try if that doesnt work then i try rento kill or someone
thanks all

Ian

Back