Washing Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
The bearings have gone on our Beko washing machine which is just out of its warranty :evil: but a local repairer said that it isn't worth fixing?

If this is the case then we need a new one. Any suggestions for a machine / brand? We would prefer something which will last longer than the Indesit's and White Knight's etc, but are not willing to pay Miele money.

Thanks,
Mark

I in the past have purchased top of thr range machines , when they go wrong it costs big bucks to fix them

Now I only buy washers for under £200 the one I have at the moment is 6 years old and still going strong

It's a cheap Bosch model

When it goes pop I will buy another cheap machine :lol:

If you know some basic mechanics why dont you change the bearings yourself and save yourself some money. They will be generic bearings and easily available at your local bearing supplier. Its not too difficult and I have done it on our washing machine which was a Hotpoint and my brother's one which I cant remember the make now. Haynes also used to do a manual on washing machines which was quite good for generic info. It doesnt matter how complicated the machines electronics are the tub/bearings are all basically the same.

Mike

acewoodturner":1uhlu7e2 said:
If you know some basic mechanics why dont you change the bearings yourself and save yourself some money. They will be generic bearings and easily available at your local bearing supplier. Its not too difficult and I have done it on our washing machine which was a Hotpoint and my brother's one which I cant remember the make now. Haynes also used to do a manual on washing machines which was quite good for generic info. It doesnt matter how complicated the machines electronics are the tub/bearings are all basically the same.

Mike

+1

I've changed bearings on a few washing machines now, mainly for other people, and it's relatively easy.

Although the last couple of machines we've had have lasted over 10 years without needing mechanical intervention.

+2
If that's all that's wrong with it.

I haven't done it for quite a number of years as we have a Meile which has been outstanding so far.
It's not too difficult (might even be some youtube footage if you search?) - watch your fingers though as there can be some very sharp edges inside the casing.

Bob

#-o It never occurred to me to replace the bearings myself. The drum is very loose and the machine screeches when it spins - sounds like the drum bearings have gone?

Thanks for the video

Mark

CHANGE OF PLAN - the boss wants a new machine because she can't stand this one :roll: so we're back to stage 1 again - what brand to go for?

I've found the parts to fix the existing machine with the intention of selling it, but they're not going for much on ebay so it's not worth doing it. This way get to keep the motor to make a disc sander so I'm happy :-$

Mark :mrgreen:

CHANGE OF PLAN - the boss wants a new machine because she can't stand this one :roll:

Why not treat her to one of these , its the latest super energy efficient model

Attachments

• washboard.jpg.gif
    washboard.jpg.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 908
I repaired our Bosch machine recently ("standard" fault of worn-out motor brushes after 8 years, easily fixed). I learnt how to do it and bought the parts from UK Whitegoods. Their website has a q&a forum, but also some articles on machine choice from an insider's point of view that struck me as interesting and believable. Have a read around here: http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine.html

CHANGE OF PLAN - the boss wants a new machine because she can't stand this one so we're back to stage 1 again - what brand to go for?

Ah well.... hand in pocket time - usually no escape if the boss wants a new model #-o

As to brand, it's Hobsons choice. You go for a cheapie as Blister does, expect to get 3 or 4 years out of it and everything else is a bonus, a mid range with a life expectancy of maybe 5 to 8 years or premium in excess of 10 years hopefully.
I went down the Meile route as guarantee was 10 years and I know several machines well in excess of 15 years now. The fact I bought an end of line model at £400 helped of course and we since bought a Meile dishwasher with the same guarantee.

What I did initially was to accept the machine would cost me around £50 pa (divided the price by life expectancy) plus the fact I can't really be a***d to look for a new one every few years - I hate shopping :(

Bob

Lons":2k914cf3 said:
Ah well.... hand in pocket time - usually no escape if the boss wants a new model
How old do you think I am?? I was referring to the matriarch when I said boss.... :lol: :lol:

400 quid for a Miele was a good deal. It would be nice to find a similar discount somewhere, but with our luck I seriously doubt it! The link to the UK Whitegoods website was a real eye-opener - it has certainly put us off buying cheap and nasty every time. Before reading some of the stuff on that website we were set on buying a machine which had all of the features they warn against.

Lons":2k914cf3 said:
I hate shopping
So do I.... unless it's for tools! (hammer)

Mark

+1 for Miele here (after bad experiences with Bosch build quality).

My Miele dishwasher went wrong recently. I did the repair myself with help from the local Miele agent (who were quite happy to allow an engineer to discuss it at a technical level). The repair took about an hour, most of which was getting junk from under the sink so as to disconnect it. Overall it cost about £1.85 (physically broken reed switch), and that's only because Maplins are a rip-off!

I've been impressed with the build quality of both the dishwasher and the washing machine. The latter came with a circuit diagram and parts list in a sealed plastic bag inside the lid!

Regards,

E.

I would avoid Whirlpool (Phillips) like the plague. On every Phillips appliance we've ever had the plastic went brittle after a couple of years and started to fall apart. Our first dishwasher was a Phillips with a plastic liner - lasted just 5 years and we replaced it with a Bosch which lasted 20 yrs. The fridge was the same, and even a plastic kettle. Our Bosch washing machine is 17 years old and hasn't missed a beat.

I think our tumble dryer must be getting on for 17 too, or possibly older - had it in our previous flat and moved here 16 years ago. It's a "Creda", owned by TI (Tube Investments) -- British steel, but I think the company's long gone now. They're very simple things though, and easy to mend (as long as the element doesn't die). I give it a thorough hoover-out every few years or so.

Back