Washing Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another for Miele - our old Hotpoint packed up after about 7 yrs or so, so paid just under £800 for one with a 10yr warranty and almost every washing program you could think of.

Had it for about 7yrs and absolutely zero issues. TBH with 2 young children - going without a washing machine for even a few days or a week, would mean me sat in a launderette. :shock:

Dibs

Dibs-h":13156z58 said:
going without a washing machine for even a few days or a week, would mean me sat in a launderette.
There's nothing worse!

We're going to have a look in comet tonight or tomorrow. I hope I remember my Money Saving Expert haggling tips!

Mark

We got a Siemens but we did get a discount as my fiance used to work there.

I would definately recommend Siemens - we've had ours for a few years now and it's excellent. You can stand a 20p coin on edge on top of it and it' won't fall over!

Which are good for checking reliability. At the time the best breands were Miele and Siemens. You get what you pay for. For a washing machine I think it's worth it given the amount it gets used.

I got my Siemens from a local independent for about 1/2 list price. Really excellent machines.

Si.

Aahhh! Not Comet or Dixons!!!

I hate them with a passion - totally and utterly disregard sale of goods, fitness for purpose......

B'st'rds the pair of them - AND they'll try to sell you an utterly useless 'extended warranty' backed by Goldmann Sachs, or someone.

(Not bitter, honest!)

Had a Miele at our nursing home - worked from 1989 to 2003 with only a few call outs. Sold it on zbay the other day after not being switched on since 2003 - went for £200!!
Greg

PS If you bin the old one, keep the glass door part as well - makes a superb salad / rice / couscous bowl.

This way get to keep the motor to make a disc sander so I'm happy :-$

These are normally very high speed motors Mark anything upto 20000rpm.

Roy.

mark aspin":3tschss6 said:
We're going to have a look in comet tonight or tomorrow. I hope I remember my Money Saving Expert haggling tips!

Mark

It's worth checking out - http://www.electrical123.com/ - I've had a couple of things from them and their service has been excellent. Cheapest I could find at the time as well. (cooker hood and a fridge/freezer). They are part of the Co-op group and give a good reference and bargaining figure to use locally if you don't fancy distance buying.

I had a slight problem with the cooker hood when the carriers didn't deliver on the specified day. A late evening email to the MD resulted in an 8am return phone call to me and he personally contacted the carriers and sorted it immediately. Can't say fairer than that

Bob

No idea what ours is, its a womans thing :p Anyhow we pay a few pounds a month for an insurance policy that covers all of our appliances. They come out next day to fix, up to yet they have been out 4 times to our washing machine and again the bearings have gone for the second time in a year. I was considering just buying a new one to save the bloody hassle as its obviously a tainted machine but guy came out, said its the same problem again so you get a new machine, £52 later for deliver (and I bet something else at that price) and our new machine arrives Tuesday, latest model they say, means nothing to me other then a source when I need a motor :D .

Digit":3jdspaxa said:
This way get to keep the motor to make a disc sander so I'm happy :-$

These are normally very high speed motors Mark anything upto 20000rpm.

Roy.

They are also normally cage type motors, with all the live parts relatively exposed, something like this....

20077419474837506.jpg

. There is a proper name but I don't know it. Sawdust in these motors could be a fire hazard. Personally I wouldn't use one in the workshop.

Roy

We had a succession of hotpoints, generally lasted 2-3 yrs, which for just two people, is rubbish.

so after the last one shook itself to death, (I have the pics if anyone is interested), SWMBO headed of to John Lewis.

ended up with a John Lewis branded machine, cost about £100 less than the comparable Miele, Siemens etc, but looks suspiciously like a Miele - (its identical apart from the badge).

3 yrs later, and its still going fine...

LG WM 14331 FD 7.5kg load ..superb machine i am told by SWMBO ...havent a clue how to work it :wink:

As someone who earned a living servicing the damn things I can tell you that the biggest factor in the life of most machines is........ the lady of the house!!
The things I have seen in washing machines defies belief!

Roy.

+1 for LG.... direct drive motor, quiet as a door mouse.... and my missus loves the little tune it plays when its done.

Nick

Digit":15370264 said:
As someone who earned a living servicing the damn things I can tell you that the biggest factor in the life of most machines is........ the lady of the house!!
The things I have seen in washing machines defies belief!

Roy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not just washing machines Roy :roll:
My missus buys irons 2 at a time 'cause they don't last 2 minutes. I know why! - because she drops them though she won't admit it.
Do I argue about it? Not bl++dy likley - I'd end up having to do my own ironing. :wink:

Bob

Spoken like a true man Bob! :lol:
One custormer I had more scrap washing machines than I did!

Roy.

Moved ours last night ready for todays delivery, said 7kg on the front, more like 50kg.

The motor was surprisingly small, both size and power 390w. I have removed it though, may come in use for my halloween stuff.

Hudson Carpentry":1p71gajq said:
Moved ours last night ready for todays delivery, said 7kg on the front, more like 50kg.

The last generation and earlier literally had concrete poured into the frames, to damp vibration. I think the current lot are better engineered (the Miele is) - there's still mass, but not as much of it as before.

Eric The Viking":368gdqbh said:
Hudson Carpentry":368gdqbh said:

The last generation and earlier literally had concrete poured into the frames, to damp vibration. I think the current lot are better engineered (the Miele is) - there's still mass, but not as much of it as before.

Most still do use concrete - Miele use cast iron. Our Miele, on a 1600 spin cycle doesn't move and hasn't moved around the kitchen for all the years we've had it.

Dibs

ALL washing machines will move if incorrectly loaded. I've seen door mats, bedroom mats, trainers, even Wellies in washing machines.
7kgs of dry washing spinning at 1600rpm and out of balance will soon cause bearing/spider failure.

Roy.

Back