Washing drum fire pit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the metal work forum but here goes.
Had a new drum fitted today in the washing machine and decided to use the old one for a garden fire pit.
Got the drum out from its outer shell, removed bottom drive wheel but I'm now stuck on how, or if, I remove the centre drive shaft/pin?
I thought it would be a case of removing the three screws in the edge which seem to hold the supporting frame but it doesn't want to move... Anyone that has done this sort of thing before able to advise?

Attachments

• 20220527_143251.jpg
    20220527_143251.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220527_143303.jpg
    20220527_143303.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220527_143306.jpg
    20220527_143306.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220527_143325.jpg
    20220527_143325.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
I'd be tempted to put the drive wheel back on in reverse to form the stand, or do what we did and just stand it on an old wheel rim then the spindle doesn't matter

Must be 15 years ago I did mine, dismantled a dead machine and I use it as an incinerator. Was there a dished pulley on the other end? I think I took the pulley wheel off, reversed it and refitted it so it forms a stand. Shaft still fitted to drum. So could you find something to act as a stand?

Must be 15 years ago I did mine, dismantled a dead machine and I use it as an incinerator. Was there a dished pulley on the other end? I think I took the pulley wheel off, reversed it and refitted it so it forms a stand. Shaft still fitted to drum. So could you find something to act as a stand?
Thanks Richard. I hadn't thought maybe using the dished pulley wheel as a stand. Thinking about it now but the one on this one is a hard plastic. Was yours metal?
Good idea though. I'd started wondering what I'd rest it on... ring of brick or similar?

I'd be tempted to put the drive wheel back on in reverse to form the stand, or do what we did and just stand it on an old wheel rim then the spindle doesn't matter
Thanks Tris...
As replied to Richard_C, great idea. Makes sense. If I do I'll have to pay attention re heat transfer down the shaft to the pulley wheel with it being some kind of plastic. 👍

the one on this one is a hard plas
Mine was metal. Likely yours is abs, melts at about 200 C, so a bit marginal. You don't want the whole thing gently tipping over while full of fire.

Maybe try it, stand it on some soil where it won't matter and fire it up. If it fails, think of something else. Perhaps cast a rough circle of concrete with a shaft sized hole.

I really like reusing stuff so keep at it. My old Bosch machine packed up because of expensive electronics, beyond economic repair, so I took it apart with my then 10 year old son so we/he could see how it all worked. I was saddened by the amount of good engineering I had to throw away, decent bearings and suchlike.

Thanks guys for your responses to my question. I'll do as has been suggested - with the additional safety of some other support to the drum to stop it tipping over.
Any suggestions or recommendations as to a particular paint that could be used for the outside of the drum?

Silly me I just used rocks around a shallow hole I dug.

For the fastener in the picture. Cut it off and drill the heads off the other two if they don't want to turn.

Pete

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the metal work forum but here goes.
Had a new drum fitted today in the washing machine and decided to use the old one for a garden fire pit.
Got the drum out from its outer shell, removed bottom drive wheel but I'm now stuck on how, or if, I remove the centre drive shaft/pin?
I thought it would be a case of removing the three screws in the edge which seem to hold the supporting frame but it doesn't want to move... Anyone that has done this sort of thing before able to advise?
Hello,
I did this yesterday, using an angle grinder I cut through the bolts at all three points, the surrounding metal is aluminium so quite easy. Because you have aluminium and stainless steel together the two metals have stuck themselves together with corrosion. Get a large hammer and hit the metal frame and it should all free itself.
Great fire pit,
Regards

I thought of this more than 30 years ago!
My current "model" usually rests near the compost bin area, but when required is brought out, the central shaft lodged in the ground and then 3 bricks are placed underneath the outer edge to support it. (The ol' 3 legs better than 4 theory at it again!)
When the kids were small we used to somehow mount a 3' long piece of pipe in the centre, pointing straight up, and fire rockets et al on bonfire night, and afterwards remove the pipe and throw in various bits of wood to make a fire. When red hot the perforations used to glow with the flames behind - magical for the kids. Once it had died down a bit, we used to put chestnuts/spuds/whatever around the top rim where the door used to fit....
The kids used to refer to it as the "scud missile launcher"!
At times we threw a metal sheet over it and used it as a bbq - the hundreds of holes in the drum allowed air to circulate, and allowed any smoke to escape.

Do you mean you got the bolts out and it’s still stuck? Probably a big hammer and a grinder would be my choices. Then a wheel rim or another machine drum to bolt at the bottom - or just plain legs.
If you leave the shaft on a garden parasol stand, (metal obvs) works quite well or a thick ring of tree trunk with a hole drilled in the centre.
I’ve done 3 or 4 for various family members.

Do you mean you got the bolts out and it’s still stuck? Probably a big hammer and a grinder would be my choices. Then a wheel rim or another machine drum to bolt at the bottom - or just plain legs.
If you leave the shaft on a garden parasol stand, (metal obvs) works quite well or a thick ring of tree trunk with a hole drilled in the centre.
I’ve done 3 or 4 for various family members.
Hi @dephill yes, unscrewed the three screws in the sides (as per photo) expecting the frame would lift off/out but it wouldn't. I didn't see any bolts just three screws. Didn't fancy hitting with a hammer incase of damage to the drum.

Your suggestion of a metal parasol stand is great ‐ I do have one 👍

Silly me I just used rocks around a shallow hole I dug.

For the fastener in the picture. Cut it off and drill the heads off the other two if they don't want to turn.

Pete
I would do as well if I had a bigger garden with more room to do so. UK gardens where I live are a bit on the small side unfortunately with little space left in mine sadly.

Latest posts

Back