wash basin trap and waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's not woodworking, but it is buying advice - Mods, please move it if should be elsewhere.

Firstly;
I am trying to find a 38mm o/s diameter fibre washer for a metal bottle trap for a wash hand basin - the rubber one supplied is no good at getting a seal and I can only seem to get them with the whole trap - i.e expensively>

Secondly;
Whilst attempting to achieve a seal on the above, I overtightened the plastic locking nut that holds the basin waste to the basin - so need a new black plastic nut.

Any ideas where on earth I can get eitehr?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

I would think the best bet would be for you to get a new waste, but I think that a wash basin is 32mm, not 38mm.
If you go into a plumbers store, some do have boxes of washers on the counter for single sales.
In either event you will get a plastic washer and plastic nut,with a new waste.
Use ptfc thread tape and it won't be necessary to over tighten the nut for a good seal.
If you use the thread tape with the rubber/neoprene washer, I've found it very successful,
Don't forget to wind the tape in the same direction as the nut tightens.
HTH Regards Rodders

As blackrodd. Go to a trade plumbers merchant. They do deal with the public! Basins are 32 and sinks 38mm. Washers are often hanging on rails in twos or threes. A new trap may be the easiest way. Best wishes.

Also ask for a doughnut washer, it might be called something else depending on the area. It is basically a cone shaped washer that fits between the basin and plastic nut on the waste pack. Ive never had a leaky waste since using them. :)

EDIT

Sorry doughnut washer is for a close coupled toilet. :oops:

This is the item i meant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-4-Basin-Wa ... 3cd011d6b1

Back