warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leptus

Established Member
Reaction score
to all members who use paypal , there is a spoof going on asking for your details, always check with paypal and let them know, do not fill the form asking for your details. all the best.

I think its safe to say, if you ever get an email from anywhere asking to confirm any of your details, be it financial, social or otherwise, it'll probably be a scam.

+1 for what Nev says.

leptus":21uw85np said:
there is a spoof going on asking for your details
There's always spoof emails like this circulating, I see several every week. If the email is genuine it will invariably ask you to log into your account by using a web browser in the normal way. No legitimate email should ever ask you to login via a link in an email.

Plus genuine emails should address you by name. Any email addressing you as 'Dear customer' or such like is probably a spam or phishing email.

regards

Brian

hi every body , i only put this warning because the email arrived it looked quite genuin and started to type a reply for a second i stopped and got intouch with paypal where they assured me that my account is ok and they asked to forward the spoof email to them so i did, my point is some times people get caught unaware and give such info . regards to all

leptus":3jlbqt0p said:
hi every body , i only put this warning because the email arrived it looked quite genuin and started to type a reply for a second i stopped and got intouch with paypal where they assured me that my account is ok and they asked to forward the spoof email to them so i did, my point is some times people get caught unaware and give such info . regards to all

Quite right to point it out but as the others said, any email wanting you to to supply details or click a link is almost certainly malicious. I get everything from every bank I can think of whether or not I have an account, facebook (I'm not a menber), Amazon and even youtube.
The phishers are getting more sophisticated. the Amazon email is usually "we have cancelled your order" - easy to get sucked in if you are actually waiting for a delivery.

I've just dumped 9 from my spam folder and that is just todays count so far!

Bob

leptus":31veodkw said:

Hi Leptus
It was good of you to take the time to post the warning. After re-reading my post I see it may have come across as ' thanks for the obvious' but this was not how it was meant :oops: I was trying to add to your post as opposed to dismiss it. #-o
without emotion or intonation the typed word can be taken in a number of contexts, and I hope no offence was taken, none was meant.
cheers

hi Nev no offence taken mate , i just wanted people to take care because i nearly got done by this email because it looked like the real thing . best regards

I think that it does no harm to be reminded from time to time of the latest spam emails. It is all too easy to take your eye off the ball when it comes to things that you might be expecting or sites that you deal with frequently. It also helps if you have a sophisticated spam checker. Mine with Yahoo can sort emails from genuine banking, PayPal sites etc from spoof ones. Even so, I do not respond to emails using links provided or the "reply" button.

Thanks, leptus, for the reminder.

Here's the latest one I've recived from Hotmail .......I filled in all the information they asked for and sent it back #-o
###########################################################################
Dear Hotmail Member:

Attention! Your Hotmail account has been limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the Msn system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Reference Number: PP-###########

This is the Last reminder to upgrade your account as soon as possible.You will have to provide the following information to restore your account access.

Please fill in your information below.

Full Name: ...................................

User name: ..............................

Password: ..................................

Reconfirm Password: ..................
Date Of Birth: ...............................

###########################################################################

I got on from paypal about 3 weeks ago which was an invoice for something I had not bought.

When I hoovered over the pay now link it was going to take me to another site.

This looked like a genuine invoice, and was the best one I have ever seen.

Every time I log into my hotmail account I get a message saying please confirm you account is genuine by giving us your mobile number so we can text you a code.

Bill Gates has enough of my details already so I just ignore it and click continue, he is just as bad as the crooks wanting people to give info this way.

Tom

Always log into PayPal itself and check your recent activity. PayPal never ask you to confirm anything via email. Neither do banks to be honest.

HIH

Dibs

Back