Wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm looking for help yet again, sorry :oops:

This time I need to build a wardrobe into a bedroom alcove, the access to the top & bottom of the stairs leading to the bedroom is very restricted. It will have to be built or assembled on site. Not sure if the room can be cleared of existing furniture, possibly not, so usual carcase construction may not work as no room to assemble on site.

This is what it would look like if a carcase construction used:

Wardrobe V & S.jpg

Requirements are:
- In the space A there will be 1 hanging rail and a drawer underneath the bottom shelf.
- In the space C there will be two hanging rails
- Doors shaker style Oak, with veneered MDF panels, except the middle one which will either have a mirror or frosted glass (maybe not full height, still undecided)
- Not only are the stairs tight; so is the budget :cry:
- Soft close hinges

So what do you think are my best options to overcome this challenge please?

Reason there is no top to the carcase is I just have n't waited to draw it in.

Attachments

• Wardrobe V & S.jpg
    Wardrobe V & S.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 142
The design is mostly flat panels of MDF and so are the doors. The budget is tight. The client clearly does not want a piece of proper furniture, they want something to fit an awkward space.
I would look at flat pack modular options from Ikea and modify them to fit the space. Assemble the easily transported flat pack bits on site. Concentrate on making some superior looking doors.

Hi Andy

When you say "modify" are you suggesting getting oversize units to cut down to fit the 1720mm width available? IKEA do 500, 750 or 1000mm widths, so would need 3 x 750.

Charlie Woody":lqd3of6j said:
Hi Andy

When you say "modify" are you suggesting getting oversize units to cut down to fit the 1720mm width available? IKEA do 500, 750 or 1000mm widths, so would need 3 x 750.

Two at 500mm used as they come, plus one at 750 cut down by 30mm, would be simpler - but it does depend on the project and what scope for variation there is. I'm only giving you a suggestion, not a design!

Customers are always tight! lol. I dont see what the problem is here, just done 2 wardrobes nearly same as this. Its just a built in design. Cut your lengths of mdf that you want, if you want to cheat then go to a wood merchant with a panel saw and give them your cutting list. Rather than, like usual, screwing the mdf shelving from the outside, if there is no room you may just have to use cleats glue and plugged to take the shelving, if you use scraps of oak they look good.

Back