Wardrobes in Loft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnulty

Reaction score
Hi there. Am new here so go easy. I have built many wardrobes in alcoves and straight runs. Have been asked to do a 2.2 meter (4 door) run of
wardrobes in a loft room. The actual sloping area is about 1600mm from the left and the right side (last 800mm) is normal ceiling height.

Im looking for some general advice here on what things to consider particularly concerning making carcasses etc and cutting the doors to the shape.
If anyone has done these or indeed can offer any advice on what to look out for pitfalls etc I would be much obliged.

The customer seems to want MFC for the carcasses and painted mdf (white for the doors).

Thanks for any help offered

You may need to watch that natural condensation doesn't occur in the loft if it is unheated and and unventilated. Just a thought. Best wishes.

Also remember if you have anything directly above the doors (panel or filler pieces) you will have to chamfer off the top corner of the door on the inside or it will stick as it opens......don't think I'm making myself clear so maybe someone else can think of a better way to put it!

If you are using a top scribe: make a template, which is a complete ballache, but if the angle of the slope is even a little out then any top scribe will end up getting wider as it goes along.

If you are not using a top scribe: Get the carcasses pretty close using angle finders/maths to treble check the slope. Then fit the MDF doors and trim on site so they follow the roof slope perfectly. Then take them away for finishing.

Sloping alcoves are alot more work than they seem so make sure you price it up.

Back