Wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
The end is in sight, done a dress rehearsal installation today. Crown moulding still to fit properly and there are no shelves or rails inside yet, but this is what it looks like:

dress%20rehearsal%20(Small).jpg

open%20doors%20(Small).jpg

oblique%20view%20(Small).JPG

They are not very well focussed, as my autofocus doesn't seem to like the surface, and I've scratched my eye today, so I can't wear my contact lens, and can't see what I'm doing. Hwever it means I can just supervise my mate Brian to do the donkey work.

The doors are quartersawn oak each door slip-matched, and the 2 left doors bookmatched with the 2 right, and they close on a push-push latch, so no handles. The front is curved and break-front.

I started making them in June, but I got sidetracked on a "proper" job, so it's taken forever to get them finished. The clients are away all week, so we can install without them breathng down our necks. Luxury!

Cheers
Steve

they look great!!
if only all jobs were like that with no customer present to "supervise" your work
only one problem though, is not having tea made for you as and when needed!

Magic stuff Steve!
They look great-how did you veneer the doors? I remember you posting your super-shooting board, did it work alright?
regards
Philly :D

Philly":30daygon said:
how did you veneer the doors?

With difficulty!

The shooting borad worked great - another jig for the mag, I hope. The doors are made from thin ply pressed on a curved mould, lipped with solid oak, then veneerd over with the quartersawn stuff. The inside of the doors are veneered too, with crown-cut. The piece is bookmatched on the inside of the doors too, so when you open the doors out, they are symmetrical. It doesn't show up too well in the photos.

I'm quite pleased with it, but I'll be even more pleased when it, but I'll be even more pleased when it is out of the house and I've been paid!

Cheers
Steve

DaveL":2i8411a3 said:
does this match the small cabinets you made, are they all for the same customer?

Yes Dave, they do and are. When I first made their bed I bought a bundle of the veneer, and it means it all matches on the various pieces.

The only problem now is that Sadolin have discontinued their High Performance Varnish, and not replaced it, so I've had to use another brand. Gone on OK, but I don't know how the colour will be affected. I'll find out before the week is out!

Cheers
Steve

Yep - different and spectacular, Steve.
Would like to see a pic of the matching set - while the cat's away.......?
Pics above are pretty good for somebody who couldn't see what he was doing!

Cheers,

Trev.

Looks very nice Steve. On first glance I had thought the lamp shade hanging from the ceiling was actually a design feature you had attached to the cupboard! Thankfully not :).

Cheers

Gidon

Fantastic workmanship, Steve - I think you must have the crown as the forum's veneering master :D

NeilCFD

I can appreciate the work you have put into this piece of furniture but worry how you will transport it to your clients address. Is it a bungalow?
Bet it weights a ton.

I remember once when moving home I had to put a saw through the back of a wardrobe to get it in and then reinforce join when fitted :twisted:

Steve

A great job. Wouldn't change a thing. Not only something I admire but something I'd be very pleased to own. Your clients will be very pleased I'm sure.

Regards

Roy

Steve,

It looks fantastic. What is the darker wood on the inside? Is it stained oak or walnut veneer? Can you show a pic of the side cupboards open as well please.

Isn't it the biz when the clients are away - not least because you can just get on with it as late as you need. I always try to tie in delivery with a trip away.

Regards

Tim

Delivered!
Everything went smoothly, four trips on my roof rack. A full day for two of us. Don't want to do another in a hurry!
I rather hope that nice Mr Pete will come and photograph it properly ere long.
Thank you all for your nice comments.
Cheers
Steve
PS
Tim - stained oak-flavoured MDF
DW Yes, a ton. Not a bungalow but in through the front door and straight up the stairs, not too bad.
TTT More pics in a Mag Near You - in the fullness of time!

Latest posts

Back