Wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for doing your hinge holes with the router!
I do all mine that way with the big Triton router.

Steve Maskery":3qrqdix1 said:
It's this morning's job.
S
I lied. It was this afternoon's job.

Yesterday I finished fitting all the abalone (celluloid) into the motifs:
P1060040.JPG

I used Superglue, got it on my fingers, fingers stuck to the abalone, hurts to peel off. Then my phone stopped working because it didn't recognise my now erased fingerprint.

But today I did get round to boring the holes. I have to say that Pete's cutter was a godsend. Easy, quick and accurate. Thank you, Pete.

P1060043.JPG

P1060043.JPG

So currently I have 4 doors oiled and drying. If I am lucky, one coat will be enough, if not, I have enough oil left for another coat without going shopping.

The crown moulding has also been oiled. 2 coats so far, I hope it will be enough, I won't know until tomorrow.

My mate Charlie is due to come over on Friday to help me install these doors. I still have to glue on the motifs, drill for the handles, clean the house, fill up with diesel, cook dinner for a friend, take her to the airport, pick up some caul fat for sheftalia, etc, etc, etc. And not necessarily in that order.

But all being well, it will be FINISHED ON FRIDAY!

I do hope so.
S

Attachments

• P1060040.JPG
    P1060040.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 356
  • P1060042.JPG
    P1060042.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 349
  • P1060043.JPG
    P1060043.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 356
Build is looking good! I borrowed my wife’s nail polish remover to clean up a glue spill, it did nothing which perplexed me. I later found out it was acetone free nail polish remover as apparently acetone is bad for your skin/nails. Which craft and fairies is how it works now.

Fitz.

I usually wait for it to dry and then sand it off with some 120/180
Doesn't do anything for getting your finger prints back mind you!

Too knackered to post properly now, but just prove that I have actually got this finished today, with a whole 1h45m to spare:

P1060055.JPG

I'll tell you more tomorrow.
S

Attachments

• P1060055.JPG
    P1060055.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 608
Well done Steve! That looks great. Looking forward to the in depth expose (accent missing), as well as the explanation for the deadline.

Well I need to back up a bit first.

The Mack motifs were glued to the doors. I'd already masked off where they would sit before applying the hardwax oil, so there would be good wood-to-wood adhesion. I set three stops up to locate them, that way they would all be in exactly the same place.

P1060050.JPG

P1060044.JPG

P1060045.JPG

And close up

P1060046.JPG

And so to the actual commissioning. My mate Charlie was coming to give me a hand and my other mate Stuart turned up unexpectedly at the same time. So there were three of us. It was absolutely pouring down yesterday, so we had to wrap each door up to get it into the house. Somehow we got them all upstairs without anything getting wet, scuffed or bashed.

I already knew that the carcase was no longer level. It's been sitting there for the last couple of months, so the carpet and underlay will have got compressed. If it's not level there is no chance of getting the doors to hang properly. So we fiddled about with the adjusters. But altering one put others out. It didn't make sense. So we ended up backing all eight off and starting again from first principles. Then it all went smoothly.

I'd marked the positions of the hinge holes in the doors using a rod, so I used the same rod, sitting on a couple of packers (to give me some clearance at the bottom) to mark out the positions for the hinge plates, a pencil mark on masking tape. I'd also made a little drilling jig to get the holes right. The big hole allows me to see the position, the small holes are for the drill. A masking-tape flag tells me when I have drilled enough.
P1060053.JPG

I stripped the thread on one plate, swore a lot and wasted an hour trying to fix it. In the end I drilled it out, installed a Rawlplug and used a normal screw. The hinges are adjustable in all three dimensions, so it should be possible to get the clearances bang on. They are not bad.

I had two drills, one for drilling one for screwing. But halfway throught there was an acrid burning smell and smoke coming out from my Workzone one. I'm not sure if I can find the receipt. It will be just my luck for it be three years and a week old :( If I have to chuck it, there will be a battery and charger going begging.

To fit the handles I'd made a jig out of three pieces of scrap. It locates on the top of the door. A piece of scrap clamped on the rear face means that I get clean exit holes, too.

P1060054.JPG

P1060056.JPG

And so it is finished. Well almost. I need to screw down the crown moulding (I need to bring my bigger steps up) and there is a mirror to go on the inside of door no. 2, but I'm still waiting for the mounting hardware. I've also got to relocate one of the shelf pin holes in the BL corner as it fouls the bottom hinge plate.

Is it perfect? No. Is it flawed? Yes, but the mistakes are small in scale and few in number and all have been fixable. I think my biggest disappointment is that I don't think I have made best use of the veneer. It would have made all the difference if the QS veneers had been a couple of inches wider. The bits I've had to add on to the edges are not as harmonious as I thought they would be, and one of them isn't straight, either.

I think that the motifs could have been a bit bigger and a bit lower down, too.

So imperfect, yes. But it is still pretty much what I envisaged in my head, I do really love the general design. As a storage unit it works very well and I am just delighted that I have my own wardrobe again for the first time in over 8 years.

I thought I had an adapter to give my camera a wider field of view, but I can't find anything in my camera bag, so you'll have to make do with a very skewed viewpoint.

P1060055.JPG

And no bluddy woman is going to make me lose this one. I don't ever, ever, EVER want to have to make another one of these again. I'm getting too old for big heavy stuff.

Next project - solid oak dining table...

Attachments

• P1060050.JPG
    P1060050.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 551
  • P1060044.JPG
    P1060044.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 550
  • P1060045.JPG
    P1060045.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 551
  • P1060046.JPG
    P1060046.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 550
  • P1060053.JPG
    P1060053.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 550
  • P1060054.JPG
    P1060054.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 550
  • P1060056.JPG
    P1060056.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 550
  • P1060055.JPG
    P1060055.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 550
I was about to congratulate you on completing a big heavy project and guess how pleased you must be to have put that behind you - then I read the last sentence!

You could allow yourself to make a little box or a picture frame or carve a spoon, you know. :)

On the other hand, a wardrobe and a dining table together are less effort than your magnificent workshop and it's great that you have the stamina back to take these things on.

Looks great Steve! Congratulations.

I think less is more with those motifs. They are beautiful and elegant. But if bigger, would they be overpowering? Not sure.

Am sure it is a lovely wardrobe though!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No, no, Steve. Not a competition, but an interesting comparison. I've no doubt you'll be using a bit more machinery than me, and I'm sure people would watch the two builds to see the different approaches. Woodwork is never a competition, and hobby woodworking should never be done against the clock.

My mate Dave has been to visit and brought his camera, which has a wider angle than mine.
IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2506.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG