Wardrobe construction - Biscuit vs domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Systematic Renovations

Established Member
Reaction score
Plan to build built in wardrobes with MRMDF with glue and screws. But after watching Peter Millard videos I noticed he also adds dominos which he states are for alignment. Obviously the dominos would add more strength but would adding biscuits instead help as I can't afford a domino.

Thanks

I've used them in the past for exactly this. There are differing opinions on how strong they are, but with MRMDF, and modern glues, it's all a bit academic. I would advise getting "proper" MDF screws, as in my experience, they clamp down the surfaces better - really useful if your range of clamps is limited.
Moving glued and screwed wardrobe carcasses about can be tricky. If funds allow, look at the Peanut jig - Peter Millard is your friend here.

Best of luck with your project

Richard

Biscuits were originally made for sheet goods and it works for some solid wood applications too. The Domino will work with the bonus of being able to do a lot of work on solid wood. Basically anywhere you might use mortise and tenons.

Pete

I find that Dominos are considerably stiffer than biscuits. Not essential on small stuff, though, but very handy on larger pieces. Dowels are just as good, however

I've built a load of MRMDF built-ins similar to Peter Millards and often use biscuits but mainly for alignment - not sure how much strength they really add. I always glue and screw and also use pocket holes if they will be hidden. Would love a Domino but difficult to justify for the amount I do.

Biscuits were originally made for sheet goods and it works for some solid wood applications too. The Domino will work with the bonus of being able to do a lot of work on solid wood. Basically anywhere you might use mortise and tenons.

Pete
Its the step on from loose tenons where you router 2 holes and thickness a piece of board as the tenon

If you are simply seeking alignment, then it does not matter which you use. In a situation such as this, I would use biscuits - cheaper and you need less of them than dominos.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I am actually less worried about alignment and more so paranoid/concerned with strength. Concerned with the glue and screws not being enough for strength.

Lots of people just use glue and screws but you can use biscuits or dominoes by themselves or do it with dados, housings, laps etc, even nails, brads and staples. Any one is more than strong enough on their own. They came up with biscuits, dominoes and screws as replacements for the more traditional methods.

Pete

I would screw it all together with confirmat screws, then fit side cheeks when installing.

wardrobes are nearly always put together in the room where they will be fitted, so I cant see the benefit on gluing a carcase together.

Adjustable shelving removes the need for screwing shelve in place.

one thing I do find makes it easier -fit a sub base first -just a board a tad smaller than the wardrobe with adjustable feet -level it up and if needed fix in place, then tile back wardrobe and slide on. Much much easier than trying to level up a whole wardrobe.

I built a wardrobe last year out of black laminated 22 mm board using IKEA type fixings. Never again - the fixings called for complete precision but the board was essentially weetabix and impossible to drill accurately. The edges were razor sharp as well. Its vital to have a dead square back to screw on and I milled a rebate in the back edges so I knew it was square when the back fitted.
+1 for the confirmat screws above - they are stronger than any K/D fitting. It is the back that gives strength so I would avoid the hassle of biscuits or cheap K/D fittings. Oh......... and I'm saving for a Lamelllo Zeta ! :rolleyes:

I have both the biscuit jointers and a Domino, I would normally use the biscuiter for MDF carcass work and the Domino for the solid door mortice type constructions. I would say the manufactured board is the weak point not the jointing method. Either final assembly on site a good back and bracing at the front for moving and as said before some adjustable feet to get the carcass level and plumb. Screws help assembly and the glue finishes off the construction.

Enjoy the build

Last edited:
Biscuits work well, so do lap joints which give great alignment and you can pre-finish the board then cut the lap so it’s all clean for the glue. If it’s hidden a few screws will pull the joint tight saving the need for quite so many clamps

I built two 'large' wardrobes in Oak any oak faced ply infill. Not heard of (or could afford) dominoes. Used biscuits for alignment, left dry. Supported by
cheap angle brackets. I can now dismantle the wardrobes for moving. I guess dominoes would serve the same purpose.

As said above a wardrobe sized thing in MDF is bloody heavy and I would be worried about moving it against biscuits which could easily break or break out, maybe better to assemble in situ as you go, pre drill your clearance holes and use good quality mdf “end grain” screws, Ive not used them for a few years, the Wurth ones were great and the screwfix ones terrible back then,,,I expect you will be painting it so having screws dotted about isnt a big issue.

Not a single screw, domino or biscuit used, just the raised panel bit and matching recessed bit and Titebond glue.
Wardroabs - 1 of 1.jpeg

I built wardrobes in our house about 25 years ago, with the gables extending 75mm below the base and 25mm above the top. I used 25mm PAR (front to back) screwed through the gables, to support the base and above the top, all screwed in place. This gave massive strength, was easy to square on the gables and is fully hidden behind the plinth at both top and bottom. External gables hide all the construction screws. 25 years on they are still as solid as a rock.
Tools: a 600mm draftsman’s set square, handsaw, electric drill and an old-school screwdriver.

Back