Wardrobe build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathaniel G

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to woodworking so I have little experience in choosing wood, however I am planning to build a wardrobe as I don’t like the flimsy ones that they sell in next and other places like that. I’m thinking about using plywood as the main carcass. What type of ply do you think I should use? Is the stuff that B&Q sell good enough?

Thanks for any help

Nathan

Ply quality varies hugely and until recently, I would never go to the shed to buy ply other than for shuttering. However recenty i need a small quantity for an upholstery job that would never be seen. B&Q had some hardwood faced ply that had very few voids. I did a mini review here http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... 31&p=54794.

Yesterday I was cutting some ply for a friend and he had got some "hardwood ply" from wickes. I was very impressed with the quality. The outer faces were beech and it cut very cleanly with little splintering with a combi blade.

Iwould suggest you always select the sheets when buying from the sheds.

Myfordman":3po85too said:
Ply quality varies hugely and until recently, I would never go to the shed to buy ply other than for shuttering. However recenty i need a small quantity for an upholstery job that would never be seen. B&Q had some hardwood faced ply that had very few voids. I did a mini review here http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... 31&p=54794.

Yesterday I was cutting some ply for a friend and he had got some "hardwood ply" from wickes. I was very impressed with the quality. The outer faces were beech and it cut very cleanly with little splintering with a combi blade.

Iwould suggest you always select the sheets when buying from the sheds.

You definitely didn't got to the Letchworth Wickes - not a single flat piece in the building although the faces were good.

My mate brought the plywood to me for cutting so I don't know how many he went through to get what he purchased.
The greatest bow was about 1.5 mm in a 4 foot sheet that I noticed when making the scribing cuts.

Depending on your location, you may be better getting the ply from a decent timber yard. I use either avon plywoods or Robbins timber, both near bristol

Depending on size and number of sheets you need, they may give you discount, and it will be better quality than b and q. There should be similar places throughout the uk to purchase boards.

I made a large wardrobe for a customer recently, but went with 19mm oak veneered mdf (with solid oak door frames).

Still got some finishing off bits and to correct error with one door (customer hasn't commented, but i can't live with the error)

Good luck!

20190703_170504_resized_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20190703_170504_resized_1.jpg
    20190703_170504_resized_1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 110
There seems to be a gremlin hiding in the utility room, top left!

Nice wardrobe though.

Fitz.

Back