Ward and Payne...Axe is bold with love....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry...with a name like Hendricks...I couldn't resist!

Remember the rather rusty...paint splattered Ward and Payne axe from Sunday's bootfair...

DSC_0042.JPG

......well as promised...I tarted it up a bit...

DSC_0049.JPG

I've always been a fan of WARD chisels...the steel is sublime...but this axe is just gorgeous!

DSC_0050.JPG

It takes a really keen edge....

DSC_0061.JPG

....sticking it in the log for the photoshoot...it went in a lot further than I had anticipated... :oops:

DSC_0062.JPG

I was going to make a new handle...but a bit of sanding and a boxwood wedge and it's rock solid...I didn't really want to lose that wonderful original wood...

Ward and Payne axe...

DSC_0058crop.JPG

...I've always wanted one...and now I've got one...and I love it!

Check out your bootfairs during the Indian Summer....you never know...your wish may come true! 8)

Jim

Nggg, all I could find at the bootfair on saturday was some old spoons to make fishing lures with :( .

Seriously well done, great find. Ward chisels are good. I have an inch mortice chisel by Ward and it's really good steel 8) .

That looks like a good axe. Now time for some FINE woodworking!

Once you have learned to use an axe properly you will use it for a multitude of different tasks. All kinds of rough shaping and rough trimming both on edges and faces of boards. Tapering legs and other tapered pieces. Shaping wood from the round. Rounding square blanks for turning. I even use an axe for tapering the wedges when I make wooden planes.

I have always found it weird that woodworkers in your country have forgotten how to use this the most versatile of all tools. In the middle of my shop there is a big pine log standing on end. I could impossible make do without it and some 3 or 4 axes.

heimlaga":smgk6jf6 said:
That looks like a good axe. Now time for some FINE woodworking!

Once you have learned to use an axe properly you will use it for a multitude of different tasks. All kinds of rough shaping and rough trimming both on edges and faces of boards. Tapering legs and other tapered pieces. Shaping wood from the round. Rounding square blanks for turning. I even use an axe for tapering the wedges when I make wooden planes.

I have always found it weird that woodworkers in your country have forgotten how to use this the most versatile of all tools. In the middle of my shop there is a big pine log standing on end. I could impossible make do without it and some 3 or 4 axes.

Indeed heimlaga....that was my intention...and it is amazing how a good axe makes you change your mind about them.

The first thing I found was that the steel was so good...I wanted to really hone to a fine edge and then see what I could do. I totally agree with you about having a log as something to rest upon...and I will seek out a suitable candidate tomorrow.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":1z5z9hx1 said:
I was going to make a new handle...but a bit of sanding and a boxwood wedge and it's rock solid...I didn't really want to lose that wonderful original wood...

It might well be old, but I doubt that's the original handle. Wrong shape, not curvy enough. I suspect it's an adapted (broken) piece of felling axe handle.

On the bright side, making (pretty much carving) hatchet handles is most enjoyable. A great excuse to break out the bowsaw, spokeshaves and rasps.

BugBear

Fair point BB...I was kinda using the loose "Trig's broom" definition of the word "original" rather than "the one Jim whittled"....as new....

As you say...it is old though and that patina would be a shame to cast away when it can be repaired...it's as solid as a rock now...which is kind of important when wielding an axe! :mrgreen:

Jim

=D> inspired thread title, esp from James Marshall.
Whilst axes are very useful of course, is it bevelled both sides?? In which case less so. The uses referred to above relate to axes with bevel on one side only (usually the right). I consider those particularly useful as a fast shaping tool with control, like a 'bully' draw-knife. But the ones bevelled both sides are a woodman's tool I thought.
I am about to be corrected. No doubt at all. :oops:

I think you are right Douglas....certainly Bill Carter's one has only one bevel...

Now I need to find one that has a knackered handle...a single bevel and turn it round the other way so that it is on the right side...i.e. the left side! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ho hum....always another challenge...

Nice weekend weather due this Saturday and Sunday so you never know your luck! I need an adze too...going all rustic mate...precision and rustic...ideal for the schizophrenic woodie! :wink:

Jim

love the "trig's broom" reference, such a classic that it's now in common usage! :)

Jim - oh yes, you are a left-hooker, forgot. And I am only here to clock my 500th post. No other reason at all. Nothing to say. (That bloody mallet...)

p.s. still a 'settled in member' I see - good grief, I was that at Bilton Youth Club, nearly 27 years ago.

Wonderful title Jim and a fine axe but it should be "as love" :D

The possibilities are endless, Hendricks - the ultimate axe man.

Modernist":jxwtzicg said:

Yes Brian...I am sure James will forgive me the misquote.

I bought that album...from a little record shop above a shoe shop in Oxford Street many moons ago.

I believe the owner was a hairy hippy named Richard...if memory serves me correctly! 8) :wink:

He did go on to do rather well methinks! :wink:

Jim

jimi43":2ea6cftg said:
Modernist":2ea6cftg said:

I bought that album...from a little record shop above a shoe shop in Oxford Street many moons ago.

I believe the owner was a hairy hippy named Richard...if memory serves me correctly! 8) :wink:

Jim

What'd I say.
Look at the sky turn a hell fire red Lord
Somebody's house is burning down down, down down
Look at the sky, look at the sky.

Sorry to bend the thread 8) 8) .......man

Modernist":1o5jb1i2 said:
jimi43":1o5jb1i2 said:
Modernist":1o5jb1i2 said:

Jim

What'd I say.
Look at the sky, look at the sky.

Sorry to bend the thread 8) 8) .......man

Now you've started something Brian...I shall have to get the LP out now and crank up the record player! :wink:

Jim

nice axe jimi have you given it a little wing yet or is there aint no telling i suppose if six were nine youd be making castles in the sand with it anway ill have to wait till tomorow to find out as im off to listen to one of my favourite albums

cheers

Jon

Hey Mr Moderator, flashing down the street, pointing that plastic finger at me
Hey Mr Moderator, you can't dress like me.

With apologies to Noel

jimi43":3kveiaee said:
I think you are right Douglas....certainly Bill Carter's one has only one bevel...

Now I need to find one that has a knackered handle...a single bevel and turn it round the other way so that it is on the right side...i.e. the left side!

At least a Kent pattern head is (normally) reversible.

But (AFAIK) a English "Carpenter's Axe" and the Scande-wegian all-purpose axe are bevelled on both sides.

Certainly single bevel axes are very rare on the UK s/h market.

BugBear

condeesteso":cpbs25mx said:
=D> inspired thread title, esp from James Marshall.
Whilst axes are very useful of course, is it bevelled both sides?? In which case less so. The uses referred to above relate to axes with bevel on one side only (usually the right). I consider those particularly useful as a fast shaping tool with control, like a 'bully' draw-knife. But the ones bevelled both sides are a woodman's tool I thought.
I am about to be corrected. No doubt at all. :oops:

Yep. I am here to correct you.

It is a matter of two different woodworking traditions. In the Scandinavian tradition almost all axes have double bewels. With some training you can work just as accurately with a double bewel axe. A Kent axe have a shape and ballance that fits our way of working. The flat bewels gives the same kind of support as the flat side of a single bewel axe.

Even my broad axes have double bewels and they are easy to use once I learned it. On the other hand I actually have an old English or American single bewel braoad hatched. In my hands it is completely useless because the lack of a bewel to support the cut makes it impossible to control the cut.

Any luck with the adze hunt yet Jim?

I got me this one a couple of weeks ago.

DSCN0023_019.jpg

DSCN0026_020.jpg

The guy said it had belonged to his recently departed Pop. Whoever he was he had a very good idea about bringing the handle up to size -

Picture.jpg

He was asking all of your budget Jim but I got him down to £22. Far too much for a bootsale, I know but it is in cracking shape.

Latest posts

Back