War finish Record No6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've attached two photos of a very beaten up No.05½ ("Pattern #4" lateral lever - 1952-57) alongside an SP4 (1995-99) showing quite a difference in the shade of blue. The blue on the No.05½ looks to be unmolested by anything that might alter the colour (other than time), and is identical (near as dammit) to that found under the frogs of my other early Records.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Roundel Blue 1.jpg
    Roundel Blue 1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Roundel Blue 2.JPG
    Roundel Blue 2.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,224
That's how my planes normally look Vann! 8)

With all this talk of Roundel Blue (Presumably the blue found on RAF Roundel markings) I am reminded I have to find some lighter blue (Cambridge Blue?) for my Paramo Vice, once it's cleaned up for fitting to the new bench!)

I have a set of 1960s Record sash cramps, and I would be tempted to use the blue on those as a colour match. I do have a Record 5 and a half that is painted green at the moment!

Regards
John :)

Must admit this hassle with paint colour (including the right sort of black) is the single biggest argument not to refinish planes I think I've ever come across. :lol:

Interesting you're looking for a light blue for the Paramo, John. All the Paramo stuff I've come across uses more of a dark blue.

Benchwayze":qaz2irec said:
I do have a Record 5 and a half that is painted green at the moment!
British Racing Green I hope :p Are you sure it's not a Cliffie? :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Alf":x3sksyw9 said:
Must admit this hassle with paint colour (including the right sort of black) is the single biggest argument not to refinish planes I think I've ever come across. :lol:

Interesting you're looking for a light blue for the Paramo, John. All the Paramo stuff I've come across uses more of a dark blue.

I would agree to a point ALF but I have a kind of threshold of "remaining Japanning" which, when exceeded, leads me to think...repaint. The earlier RECORDS did not use stove enamel or Japanning..they used cellulose and has about as much grip on raw steel as Jordan has on reality.

You can virtually sit there and pick the paint off with a fingernail after so many years and so, to protect the steel...they do need some kind of finish to be user planes. I think the research involved in the "mystery blue" is quite fun...and will be hugely satisfying once someone nails the solution! #-o

Jim

Vann":2pndfzv4 said:
Benchwayze":2pndfzv4 said:
I do have a Record 5 and a half that is painted green at the moment!
British Racing Green I hope :p Are you sure it's not a Cliffie? :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Ohhh Definitely NOT a Cliffe! The quality is too good... :mrgreen:

Alf...

I am not sure if the colour my vice is painted at the moment is the correct colour. I just assumed it was, as it's always been light-ish blue. I got it second-hand in 1971, so maybe the previous owner restored it at some time! The old chap was into his eighties then. As I don't fancy a seance....
I'll stay with the Cambridge blue! :wink:

Ta!
John

Japlac used to make paint that was virtually identical to the proper Record blue. They called it Navy Blue. I don't think they make it any more. Here's my old Woden metalworking vice painted with it

Walkingstick14.jpg

As a direct comparison, my Record #7 (which I bought new in 1970) in this picture has the original finish and the #5 1/2 is painted with Japlac Navy Blue

Competition2.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have a tin of that Paul.
I painted an old Record Metalworking vice with it, but it never looked right to me!
Mind you my eyes are going home these days!

jimi43":3h70adpg said:
By Jove....I think you may have it nailed there Paul....

Now just to see if they still make it anymore....

Jim

And when you come to your senses, Jim, and start buying Cliftons, you will find that their British Racing Green is virtually identical to the green Clifton use - as you can see on my "Frampton Special" scrub plane :lol:

Paul

My attempt at the Record Blue:

aertddwcsfd.jpg

...a ba$tardized No4, made up from all sorts of bits and pieces...in fact, the blade belongs in a Cliffie owned by Paul C - Rob

Paul Chapman":1bclhufx said:
jimi43":1bclhufx said:
By Jove....I think you may have it nailed there Paul....

Now just to see if they still make it anymore....

Jim

And when you come to your senses, Jim, and start buying Cliftons, you will find that their British Racing Green is virtually identical to the green Clifton use - as you can see on my "Frampton Special" scrub plane :lol:

Paul

I just have to find a classy bootfair Paul...one that has Cliftons in dark, dirty boxes under stalls....

One day that will be the norm!

Rob...that is a superb hybrid...it looks a tad fat for a No.4...you sure it isn't a No.4 1/2 body...or is it the picture angle?

I love the screw adaptation on the lever cap...did you just bang out the pin, remove the lever and then drill and tap a hole? Does it lock down better that way?

I know there are loads of questions but one last one...did you turn the low front knob?

Nice one!

Jim

As far as I know Jim, the Record lever caps are still being produced that way. Or they were just a few years ago. I think DC used one to demo fine tuning a plane.
I had a No 5.5 with such arrangement and that was bought new.

jimi43":1fiz0ojc said:
Rob...that is a superb hybrid...it looks a tad fat for a No.4...you sure it isn't a No.4 1/2 body...or is it the picture angle?

I love the screw adaptation on the lever cap...did you just bang out the pin, remove the lever and then drill and tap a hole? Does it lock down better that way?

I know there are loads of questions but one last one...did you turn the low front knob?

Nice one!

Jim
Jim, the body is a No4 of indeterminate age with a much older 'solid' frog. Handle and tote turned made from English Walnut, the smaller brass screw on the lever cap having been made by Pete (Newt) and the larger knurled one is an encapsulated bolt aka Derek of Oz style. The lever cap is in fact of a brand new Record No4 and I just sanded of the icky nickle plate and then polished the cast iron...in fact:

dujwoidmjdioejdj.jpg

mnlesmc35r4ty5rr.jpg

every single bit of it was highly polished and took hours and hours to do...never again :mrgreen: - Rob

jimi43":2r6zvkfn said:
How does it shave?

Jim
Jimi, it's not too bad, I can get round me chin OK but I find I can't get the whiskers off under me nose. The worst thing though, is that I have to strip it down each time as the water can make the steelwork go a bit rusty and I'm not sure that Paul C would want his Cliffi blade dragged across my ugly mug each morning...

A Domino:

shavingwithaDominoSMALL.jpg

works much better though! (hammer) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: - Rob

Proof positive that they are charging cut-throat prices for those sparklie gadgets!!! :mrgreen:

I find you need a new cutter fitted each time though or you end up with side burns! :roll:

I'll get me coat..... :oops:

Jim

Back