WANTED: someone to make a small wooden desk toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sil

Reaction score
I'd like to have made a small wooden desk toy: a 4-sided box containing 5 wooden cubes, with the box approximately 20cm long in total. So I thought that this might be something that a woodworker might be interested in making for me. I've attached a picture of the idea: the containing box has bottom, back, and two ends, and the cubes fit within it in a horizontal line; they should be close together so they don't rattle in the box, but far enough apart so that you don't have to force them into the box, if that makes sense. I plan to paint letters on the cubes once the job's complete, so the cubes should not be varnished, but this is a present, so I'd like the box and cubes to be smoothly finished (no rough edges and so on).

I'm entirely unsure of what I'm doing here, so I'm happy to answer any questions! I'm in Stourbridge in the West Midlands.

Of course, I'd pay for the work!

(I'm not sure if this forum is the appropriate place to post this, because I'm looking for work to be done rather than a tool for sale! Moderators, please move or delete it if not appropriate!)

Attachments

• screenshot_006.png
    screenshot_006.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 358
Hi, everyone. I've had a few responses from people who are interested, and thank you -- I'd love to reply via PM but the board won't let me PM people currently because I haven't been using it long enough! So I'll answer a couple of questions here:

1. many people have asked how big the cubes would need to be. I know I'd like the box as a whole to be approximately 20cm long. However, I don't know (a) how thick the walls of the box should be to be sturdy, and (b) how big the gap between the cubes should be such that the cubes all fit nicely in the box but don't need forcing. I'd be very interested in thoughts on what those numbers should be!
2. I imagined the "box" as being made from one piece of wood rather than four flat pieces fixed together (because then it'll have a smoother and more pleasing finish) but I don't know whether that's a reasonable thing to do, and again I'd love to hear thoughts.
3. I also have no idea how much this would cost to do, so I'd appreciate it if offers to do the work also included a (rough -- I won't hold you absolutely to it!) cost figure so I can get an idea of whether I can afford this :)

A couple of people have also asked for direct email details: I hope I'm allowed to post them, and mods please edit this post if not, but my email address is sil-ukworkshop (at) kryogenix (dot) org.

Many thanks

sil":1kox68rn said:
Hi, everyone. I've had a few responses from people who are interested, and thank you -- I'd love to reply via PM but the board won't let me PM people currently because I haven't been using it long enough! So I'll answer a couple of questions here:

1. many people have asked how big the cubes would need to be. I know I'd like the box as a whole to be approximately 20cm long. However, I don't know (a) how thick the walls of the box should be to be sturdy, and (b) how big the gap between the cubes should be such that the cubes all fit nicely in the box but don't need forcing. I'd be very interested in thoughts on what those numbers should be!
2. I imagined the "box" as being made from one piece of wood rather than four flat pieces fixed together (because then it'll have a smoother and more pleasing finish) but I don't know whether that's a reasonable thing to do, and again I'd love to hear thoughts.
3. I also have no idea how much this would cost to do, so I'd appreciate it if offers to do the work also included a (rough -- I won't hold you absolutely to it!) cost figure so I can get an idea of whether I can afford this :)

A couple of people have also asked for direct email details: I hope I'm allowed to post them, and mods please edit this post if not, but my email address is sil-ukworkshop (at) kryogenix (dot) org.

Many thanks!

Hi Sil welcome to the forum, You should be able to send PM's after 3 posts.

I am going to move your thread up to General Woodworking as I believe more members will see it.

Good luck

Cheers

Mike

Back