Wanted: Mortice Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sending a request to any fellow forum member who may have a number of mortice chisels that they would like to sell on.

I'm looking for about 3 or 4 of varying sizes from about 7/8mm upwards to about 15mm.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a well-priced set that will get me off and started, I'm capable of flattening and sharpening so i'm just looking for a decent bit of steel to complete a few projects in the run-up to xmas.

Ebay doesn't seem to have too much on it at the moment, and all my local bootsales have come to an end, so my bargain hunting is somewhat limited!

popular woodworking, mentioned Ray Illes products in their latest issue.
having never used them i don't know but they seem to be cheaper
new than LN , the other brand mentioned.

good hunting :eek:ccasion5:
paul

Highland Hardware sells a number of different kinds. They are local for me but they also sell online. I think they sell Hirsh, Sorby, and Crown.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com

Diefenbacher Tools also sells some different brands. Two Cherries, and some other brand.

http://www.diefenbacher.com/Mortise.htm

I own some Sorby's myself. The handle has split on one of them, but otherwise they seem pretty decent. Two Cherries would be my next favorite. I own some bench chisels and absolutely love them.

BB
I bought a 9mm Japanese one from Axminster at the show. Back was almost flat, took 2 minutes to flatten (thats where hollow backs really help!) and is as sharp as a very sharp thing. I've only used it a couple of times to cut practise mortises but I like it! Also passes the "chip" test.
HTH
Philly :D

7/8mm is quite wide for your narrowest I think. Not sure; I always think of chisels in imperial sizes. :oops: Do yourself a favour and find someone with some old oval bolstered chisels - all the dealers will have some.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated.

Alf, do you think that I should perhaps go as low as 5mm for my smallest?Having never done a mortice before with a chisel i'm not totally clued up in which sizes I would be using. Also, can you recommend some dealers to call - are the ones listed on your site worth a ring or can you recommend any specific one, one last question, what would be a good price for an old chisel?

Philly - do you know who you bought the japanese chisel from? I've seen a number of manufacturers from a variety of suppliers and wouldn't want to get the wrong ones..

ByronBlack":253himuz said:
Alf, do you think that I should perhaps go as low as 5mm for my smallest?
You'll have to do the conversion, but I suppose the most common smallest size is probably 1/4", although I have 3/16" and 1/8, but they don't honestly get used except in extreme circumstances. The size most often suggested as a good starter is the 5/16"; with that you can do 3/4" stock and 1", which are the most common furniture sizes.

Having never done a mortice before with a chisel i'm not totally clued up in which sizes I would be using.
You need to think what size stuff you're going to be using. The rule of thumb is to make your tenons about a third of the thickness of the stock you're tenoning, although usually it's better to go a little over a third. Especially when the tenon piece is going into a thicker mortise piece; typically a table leg. So you need mortises to match. So you can quickly see why 5/16" was a useful all round size to start with.

Also, can you recommend some dealers to call - are the ones listed on your site worth a ring or can you recommend any specific one,
I'd be surprised if they didn't all have a reasonable selection; Tony Murland and Tool Bazaar both tend to be priced more towards the 'Murricans and are thus best left to last, IMO. Secondhand Tools and Pennyfarthing Tools are both usually more sensible in price, as is Ray Iles if you can get hold of him! I know Bob's Toolbox had some, 'cos I saw them, but he doesn't strike me as the cheapest option out there. Alternatively have a go on the 'Bay if you fancy.

one last question, what would be a good price for an old chisel?
No idea. Generally a little research on past prices realised on Ebay is your best bet.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for taking the time to asnwer my questions alf - much appreciated. I'll give some of the dealers you have recommended a call and see what they have.

what would be a good price for an old chisel?

Full, oval bolstered mortice (AKA "Pig sticker") in good (or better) condition:

"shed emptyer" at car boot 2-4 quid.

dealer at car boot 4-6 quid

antique mall dealer 6-10 quid

on-line dealer 8-15 quid (due to USA demand)

all for the same chisel, and all depending on luck and circumstance

BugBear

Alf":neqy7ehe said:
[The rule of thumb is to make your tenons about a third of the thickness of the stock you're tenoning, although usually it's better to go a little over a third.Cheers, Alf

I thought I'd read an article (years ago) by someone who did some tests, and the recommendation was to go to 1/2. Could it have been DC?

Adam

Thanks for the link BugBear, I might be being really tight but I don't think i could stretch to the amount he wants, although they are nice looking chisels - thanks for the link!

If I can't find some affordable chisels, I was thinking of what I already own: Powered Router and Kirschen Bevel Edge Chisels. Is it an acceptable method of creating a mortice by routing it out and then squareing the rounded edge with the aformentioned chisels - or am I looking at a potential disaster with that method?

Is it an acceptable method of creating a mortice by routing it out and then squareing the rounded edge with the aformentioned chisels

That's common, and works, I'm told. You could alternatively round the ends of your tenons...

BugBear

ByronBlack":1xbfsdcj said:
If I were to round the ends of the tenons - whats the proper way of matching the diameter so that it fits snugly?

I use a rasp or a chisel. It is not critical to get an exact fit here as the glue surface which provides the strength is the long grain on the cheeks of the tenon. A faceted "pyramidal" shape will work quite well enough at the short sides of the tenon, rather than carefully matching diameters - just make sure to leave some meat at the extremities so that the tenon doesn't slide side to side in the mortice - unless you need this for some reason :wink:

Cheers for that chris - I can see what you mean, well I have to say a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to my latest threads, I know feel pretty confident of making this piece (table as discusses in general) - with my current tools which is great as with xmas pressies my budget for tools is virtually zero, although I still need a jointer plane ;(

Thanks for the link phil, they are indeed lovely looking tools, maybe i'll be able to convince SWMBO to get me a set - it would compliment my kirschens quite nicely.

I assume your happy with the purchase?

Yeah, it's a good chisel. Need to give it a bit more use to give it the 100% thumbs up, but initial signs are good!
Cheers
Philly :D

Back