Wanted Floor Standing Pillar Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a new or second hand Floor Standing Pillar Drill, does anyone have one they no longer require or can anyone recommend a good one to buy? I have been looking at the Axminster ones, seem good value but did notice some posts before about making sure they don't " have a wobble when spinning" if that the correct term? :lol: and I don't know enough about them to really know what to look for when buying.

I don't want a huge thing just one which will take up as little space as poss but be accurate and 240v. I don't want a bench mounted one.

Any help gratefully received :wink:

Just completed my 1st paid job, very plain but that's what was asked for, glass top still to be fitted.
2pz0f1w.jpg

Not that I'm one to gloat or anything, but I bought a Meddings "Pacera" pillar drill yesterday at an agricultural sale for £40 :D :D It's 3 Phase, but that's not a major problem, I just need to find a suitable 1ph motor.

If I were you, I'd definately look out for a second hand machine, mine is built like a brick outhouse! The older machines also usually have a much longer quill travel than the newer machines - about 4 1/2" as opposed to just over2".

Some of the names to look out for are Meddings and Elliot, both are old, solid British engineering at it's best, and built to outlast their users.

Cheers

Aled

P.S. Anybody have a 1 Phase motor that's surplus to requirements?

I'm going to be after a floor stander as well so I'd be interested in recommendations...the Jet's look preferable over the Axminster own brand - Rob

Another vote for old British cast iron.
The chaiwanese imports are full of design compromises as well as often being poorly made.
In addition to the makes mentioned already I'll add Pollard to the list.

Most of these machines are belt driven and changing from 3 phase to single phase motor is fairly stress free.

Bob

Bob

You seem to be the resident expert as regards to motors and drives etc. Can you suggest a good (cheap) supplier of single phase motors?

I have considered driving the existing motor from an inverter, but it's a very old open frame jobby and I doubt that the windings/insulation are too clever, so the easiest and cheapest option for me will probably be a single phase motor. What would your advice be?

Cheers

Aled

Hi Aled,

So I'm getting a reputation eh? lol

What rating motor are you looking for? I assume it is a 4pole (1430 rpm) on there at the moment.
The problem you might incur being an old motor is that the pulley might not fit the new motor shaft directly.

So when looking for a motor you need the right speed, almost certainly a foot mounted one and be aware of the shaft size.

If you have metal working facilities then boring out or bushing the pulley should be no problem.

As for sources, distance is quite important as carriage can be expensive so look in the local paper and maybe place an ad here
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/
ebay is a possibility but carriage costs kick in.

Let me know what you need and I'll keep an eye open for you.

Bob

woodbloke":3dv6iwen said:
I'm going to be after a floor stander as well so I'd be interested in recommendations...the Jet's look preferable over the Axminster own brand - Rob

we got the axminster own brand at work last year and its okay (we use largely with an 80mm forstner bit for making way marker recesses)

the one thing to watch tho is that the instruction on putting it together are utter and complete rubbish - assembling it their way is very fiddly - putting the ratchet on the post then sliding the mechanism over the top on the other hand is very easy.

andycktm":1xxxkvmb said:
Aled, the old bargin is quickly becoming negitive equity mate :lol:

Not at all, even if I have to spend another £100 (which I wont) I'll still be at around half the price of a similar (substandard) new machine. :wink:

Cheers

Aled

Back