WANTED D/T Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used a router for years but have never tried d/t's, Normally i've used finger joints which I make on the router table, using a home made jig. Good and strong but I'd like to ring the changes.
Anyone interested in parting with an unwanted jig, maybe because of upgrading, please let me know. I'm not loaded but a fair price paid.
Any practical advice on using these tools greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
hh.[/img]

HH
I sold my Leigh a couple of years ago. It did a superb job. But...

I found I used only once or twice a year. It is a production tool, an if I were using it every day I'm sure it would have been a godsend. But at once or twice a year it meant I had to read the manual every time. I made mistakes. it took ages. I never got to be an expert in using the tool.

Obviously I don't know the kind of work you are doing, and maybe, indeed, you do want a production tool. But if not, I can heartily recommend Mark Duginski's method in The Bandsaw Handbook. You need a decent bandsaw with the best 1/8" blade money can buy. A couple of hours with some scrap MDF and some wingnuts and you have a superb way of making dovetails.

For half-laps you can do the tails like this and then chop the pins with a Japanese saw and chisels.

It really is no harder to learn to do dovetails like this than it is to learn to use a Leigh expertly, I can't speak for other jigs.

The book will cost you £15 or so, and the blade a tenner - what have you got to lose? :)

Food for thought?
Cheers
Steve

Back