• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Found Wanted - Carving tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a few more carving tools to widen my choices. If anyone has any decent quality tools available, old or new, please send details.

regards,

Colin

I have these available,if they interest you
49659702-ADCD-470F-BDED-F141E40D85C9.jpeg
0E82457C-0311-4061-AB96-384339DDD7B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Colin,
Below is a photo of all the tools which I bought perhaps 15 years ago - they've been sat in the tool roll for 10 years as I didn't really take to carving.
All but one of the main ones are from Ashley Iles and one is a Henry Taylor. The three small ones on the right are Marples.
Below are the Ashley Iles sizes or sweep & the width in inches - there is a good set of pictures on the Ashley Iles website showing the difference in the various sweeps. Carving Tool Sweeps

In the photo from left to right they are:

2 - 9/32" This is almost flat, rather like a skew chisel
3 - 1/2"
3 - 1"
4 - 9/32"
6 - 3/4" (Henry Taylor)
8 - 5/16"
8 - 5/8"
8 - 7/8"
9 - 5/32"
39 - 11/32" (V gouge)
The Marples tools aren't marked but are a V tool, a shallow gouge and a slightly deeper gouge, bought as a set from Axminster Tools, many years ago.
The current price is about £23 per Ashley tool and for the 10 tools, I am asking £100. The tool roll and Marples gouges would be included for free.
Postage would be additional.
I hope these are of interest
David

20201223_150141892_iOS.jpg

Hello Colin,
Below is a photo of all the tools which I bought perhaps 15 years ago - they've been sat in the tool roll for 10 years as I didn't really take to carving.
All but one of the main ones are from Ashley Iles and one is a Henry Taylor. The three small ones on the right are Marples.
Below are the Ashley Iles sizes or sweep & the width in inches - there is a good set of pictures on the Ashley Iles website showing the difference in the various sweeps. Carving Tool Sweeps

In the photo from left to right they are:

2 - 9/32" This is almost flat, rather like a skew chisel
3 - 1/2"
3 - 1"
4 - 9/32"
6 - 3/4" (Henry Taylor)
8 - 5/16"
8 - 5/8"
8 - 7/8"
9 - 5/32"
39 - 11/32" (V gouge)
The Marples tools aren't marked but are a V tool, a shallow gouge and a slightly deeper gouge, bought as a set from Axminster Tools, many years ago.
The current price is about £23 per Ashley tool and for the 10 tools, I am asking £100. The tool roll and Marples gouges would be included for free.
Postage would be additional.
I hope these are of interest
David

View attachment 99068

they would be ideal, have messaged you.

regards,

colin

David, the postman just dropped them off.

I now have an excuse to go to the workshop for a bit of honing and to build a rack for them!

thank you,

Colin

Back